jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I've used the mag 3, 5, 7, 9.5, and 12. They work ok but must be cleaned in vinegar every few months to prevent calcium buildup. You MUST change the stainless screws used on these pumps. The "stainless" screws will rust away in your system and cause you lots of grief. A freakin mag 5 killed half of my SPS tank :(

Last edited by a moderator:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jackson6745 said:
I've used the mag 3, 5, 7, 9.5, and 12. They work ok but must be cleaned in vinegar every few months to prevent calcium buildup. You MUST change the stainless screws used on these pumps. The "stainless" screws will rust away in your system and cause you lots of grief. A freakin mag 5 killed half of my SPS tank :(

I've been using my Mags for two years now. I haven't changed out the screws. How long did it take for your screws to rust out and corrupt your system?

I ask because Phosban and Rowaphos are a Ferric Oxide (rust basically) and they don't crash tanks. Any insight would be helpful because right now I'm running six Mag Drives. All with original screws.

Thanks,
Russ

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Good idea Jim.

Russ my mag 5 that was feeding my chiller was 3 years old. It works fine, I have always kept it clean. When I opened the pump the rust was all over! I can't even begin to tell you the awesome SPS that I lost :( The day after I removed the pump it was like a breath of fresh air. With in a week colors and growth tips returned and most importantly no more STN/RTN

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I recently swapped a ocean runner for a mag7 as my main return pump and must say i am a little disappointed, it is extremely noisy in comparison. maybe its just mine or something to do with my setup but the low vibration type noise is resonating through the whole house.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
INFO ON MAGDRIVE NYLON SCREWS:

Screw size information for Magdrive pumps: 440, 632, 832, 1/4-20 on the link I gave should write like 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-32.... The first number stand's for diameter of the bolt, while the second number stand for number of threads per inch. Example: 1/4-20 is a bolt 1/4" dia. with 20 thread per inch. Screw that have diameters smaller than 1/4", one will use number instead ( 4, 6, 8, 10 ) Ex: 8-32 is mean screw size 8 with 32 thread per inch.

So the 8-32's in 5/8" or item number 91480 (5/8"L x 832 Thread Nylon Round Head Slotted Screw) are the ones to order for Mag's 3-9.5, .

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct_id=15584

I don't have any information on Magdrives above 9.5. So your going to have to measure the screw length and thread count yourself (I don't own these pumps, so I never researched them).

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Other than the potential problem of rusting screws, I enjoyed the Mag Drive I used as a return pump. For the price, not many pumps can compare. I had no issues with vibration or sound levels. It also started up flawlessly after power outages.

Paul101

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with outboard motors, the bigger problem with metal in salt water is electolysis. Outboard motors utilize sacrificial anodes. The metal screws must corrode the same way.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Shaun detailed it best:

INFO ON MAGDRIVE NYLON SCREWS:

Screw size information for Magdrive pumps: 440, 632, 832, 1/4-20 on the link I gave should write like 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-32.... The first number stand's for diameter of the bolt, while the second number stand for number of threads per inch. Example: 1/4-20 is a bolt 1/4" dia. with 20 thread per inch. Screw that have diameters smaller than 1/4", one will use number instead ( 4, 6, 8, 10 ) Ex: 8-32 is mean screw size 8 with 32 thread per inch.

So the 8-32's in 5/8" or item number 91480 (5/8"L x 832 Thread Nylon Round Head Slotted Screw) are the ones to order for Mag's 3-9.5, .

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct_id=15584

I don't have any information on Magdrives above 9.5. So your going to have to measure the screw length and thread count yourself (I don't own these pumps, so I never researched them).

turbotone

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great info.. much appreciated.... was not aware of this problem at all... you would think rust wouldnt be an issue being pumps are made to be submerged underwater for large amounts of time.. thanks for the info will be changing the screws... my corals thank you

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: