Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Question water turnover rate

I was curious and can't seem to find a direct answer online. My canister was being blocked so water flow was greatly reduced. I didnt realize at first due to school and work and other life things taking my attention. I had a few acros and montis developed stn/rtn. I was checking everything and tested then realized the filter wasn't pushing much water. I fixed the issue and things seem to be coming back (even the stn pieces). what does a low turnover rate do to a reef tank? I have a 30Xh with 22 gals of total volume. canister runs 303gph. my average turnover rate is 13.7 gals not including skimmer
Old 06-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (157 (100%)
Friends: (83)
Send a Private Message
Don't worry about turnover rate, get yourself a decent flow pump (vortech, gyre, etc) there are a ton out there.

Definitely don't depend on your canister for flow to your aquarium. You want to make sure you have enough flow to keep things happy. When I wasn't sure what enough flow was I watched videos of successful reefs and looked at home things moved (polyps, lps, fish) and tried to recreate that using my pumps. See if there are any local reefers than can let you see their tanks. Check with Kenny from Pieces of the Ocean, he know's what he's doing and can help steer you right.