Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hi guys
my clownish laid eggs for the third time. The first time it was on the aquarium glass, the second time was on a tile that i put in there. After 8, days i took the tile and put it in a separate 5 gallon tank i had set up. I could see the eyes and they were silver color. I kept some water movement and the temp was 80 degrees. The eggs never hatched. I use the same water from the main display tank. Three days ago they laid eggs again on the tile. I honestly don't know what failed with the second hatcch. Any inputs would be apreciated.
Thank you
Paul

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hey guys

This is going to be third batch, and i had air stones in the tank. I took the eggss i believe on the 8th day, and they were silverish in color. What i mean by water movement was to gently pointed the pump n the eggs to aerate them. Just to keep them moving.
Thank you
Paul

westohooligan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was going to feed reef nutrition live food. I don't have roti culture. I am trying to start one, but looking for a culture.

Newly hatched clown fry really won't be large enough to eat anything but live rotifers for the first few days. I work for Reed's/Reef Nutrition and believe me when I say a rotifer culture is paramount to your success. I have heard of some breeders going to copepods, but not usually until the clowns are several days old. Even then I weened them from rots to TDO starting on day 5-8.

westohooligan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You don't need to culture phyto either, all can be purchased in highly concentrated formulas from Reed's. In terms of incubating the eggs, you need to run an air stone directly under them with enough flow to keep all eggs lightly moving. I never lost a single hatch doing this.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
wow i am glad this thread resurfaced. My clown fish spawn constantly, as i type this the male is tending on a new batch. I was never successful in raising the fry. I don't put the tile anymore. Wesohooligan you mention everything can be purchased, can direct me to a product, maybe a link online and then i can ask my local shop to see if he can get it?

westohooligan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
wow i am glad this thread resurfaced. My clown fish spawn constantly, as i type this the male is tending on a new batch. I was never successful in raising the fry. I don't put the tile anymore. Wesohooligan you mention everything can be purchased, can direct me to a product, maybe a link online and then i can ask my local shop to see if he can get it?

Start here: http://apbreed.com/products.php

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
You could use the APB product to feed and enrich the rotifers, but the APB stuff are dead. If you are going to keep your own rotifer culture, it will crash easily. Not to mention you have to keep buying more and more ABP phyto mixes.

I'm not saying it cannot be done. It is just different, and a bit harder to get all the fish fly to survive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: