Megalodon

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 65 gal tank with built-in D.A.S filtration. I am running 3 compact fluorescent tubes at 256 watts total. About 40 lbs of live rock, live sand, long tentacle sea anemone, 2 xenia’s, button polyp and a leather coral. D.A.S skimmer.

I purchased 2 clarkii clowns from Dallas North Aquarium here locally. One of the clowns larger than the other. So I took a leap of faith. Well looks like it has paid off. The couple is inseparable. The female has taken to the anemone and will not leave unless it wants to feed. The male stays close to the female, but does not share the anemone with the female.

4 questions(I apologize, I am an amateur):

1. I have noticed the male dance in front of the female. Turning sideways and shaking his body very fast. From what I understand this is either courtship behavior or the clowns are still going through their sex change. To make things a little more clear, The female is around 4 inches and the male around 2 ¾ inches. With that said, I have noticed the female shake her body as well. Not as violently as the male. I this normal? Will it result in the female laying eggs?

2. I have noticed the male, specially when my day light tubes go out in the late afternoon, cleaning a piece of live rock close to the female and the sea anemone. He does not take a serious interest in doing it. It’s very sporadic. Is this a sign of courtship?

3. I purchased a piece of ceramic tile from my local hardware store so my clowns can lay their eggs on it. For some reason when I placed the tile in my tank it started to release tiny air bubbles. Looks like there is some kind of reaction with the saltwater. Is this normal. I did take the tile out because I was not sure if it might damage the water.

4. Shouldn’t the male share the anemone with the female as well?

I appreciate your assistance.

Megalodon

Reefguide

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1, yes, that seems to be a courtship dance... My clows do it all the time... Like you said the male more than the Female IMO... Pre-Spawning behavior is quite wierd !!

#2 The pair will ususally start to clean a nesting site 4-5 days prior to laying the eggs...

#3 The tiles, may jsut be expelling air bubbles in the tile, I cant be certain... I have never used tiles for egg laying... I have heard that clowns could reject tiles for egg laying if they are already comfortable with a site...

#4 Not sure, I've never used anemones, but my two percs share a Alveopora...

Hope that helps... Try picking up a copy of Joyce Wilkersons Clownfish... You wont be sorry awesomne book.... describes breeding, diseases, pairing, growing larva food, you name it...

8O I just noticed you posted back in DEC... did they spwan?

Megalodon

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Believe it or not, I recently upgraded to a 100 gallon ocean view tank. It looks great. I moved my fish and corals to my new tank about a month ago. Currently I have 1 yellow tang, my clowns and 1 gramma. I also purchased 2 green mandarins. A male and female.

It's funny, twice a month these guys display courtship behavior. I believe their spawning is related to the lunar cycle. It is usually during a full moon. I have not had success to get these guys to actually "breed". I read in Joyce’s book that sometimes clowns may display courtship behavior, but not actually go through with it all the way. It seems to be in this case. I am also concerned that my clowns might be from the same brood stock. Do you know if clowns inter-breed? If not I may have to introduce a new one to my tank.

To give you a little more information on the 2, the female is the most dominant. She goes where she pleases and often chases the male if he gets to close to her territory. But the funny thing is that during the mating periods which could last for a couple of days, the tolerate each other. Not sure if this is normal either. Also, during these periods, the female dances as well. Not as much as the male though.

I was always under the impression if the pair were "mated" they stay in close contact and share an anemone together. What are your thoughts on this? I have never seen my pair share the same quarters.

They are on a excellent diet as well. Feeding is in early morning and late afternoon.

Thanks Again.
:idea:

Reefguide

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I also think they are acting a bit off.... They do tend to share the same home if they have paired up... My female never chases the male around either. Yes, clowns will in-ter breed from what I have read...

My Mandarin is a gonner... He was feeding on pods in my tank, witch were very abundant and he took to eating live brine rather quickly... He just died ! :( I know it wasnt starvation or tank parameters, so its a mistery to me...

Thanks for the compliments BTW... :D

kris4647

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a pair based on what you have said. The male not cohabiting is a little strange, is the anenome big enough for both of them to get in?

There is no way an adult female clown would let another female anywhere near her anen, so we know that she is indeed a she and he a he [Couldve guessed that by the male's behaviour though.] His cleaning activities are a great sign. When she joins him in cleaning and she looks like she's getting fatter it could be that special time.....

His behavior [Shaking or vibrating] is thought to be a submissive gesture to her BTW...

Cant help you on the tile I just plopped a piece in one of my tank and hoped for the best. Many breeders use clay pots if that helps, both materials are pourous and will absorb some water and give off bubbles at first...Clowns nesting sites can move around although when they find a good spot they tend to continue there.

Wilkerson's book is a must...

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI: My percula's just spawned the other day for the first time. They'd pretended to clear areas a few months ago and never produced, but finally they have! I also have two pink skunk clowns that are nearing reproductive size and seem to be working out whos who fairly quickly.

Click here for the pics of the new spawn:
http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32491

Wade

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: