AmeriSpecDenver

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any information on raising Pearly Jawfish in captivity?
I have read that they have been know to spawn in captivity, but cannot find any info.
My first question is are they Mouth Brooders?????
I raised African Chiclids in a "Previous Life" and am very familiar with their cycle.
I am asking that question, because I have five in a 180 Reef Tank, and today I noticed that one of them has a very, very large mouth and head.
It keeps working its mouth as an African does, in theory juggling the eggs.
Looking at quick glimpses into its mouth when the timming was right, appears to be large light colored mass which appears to be a "ball" shape approx 3/16" in Diameter.
Upon further examination, it almost looks like within this mass there are maybe 100 tiny little spots, which appear to be the size of a pinhead.
No-------I haven't had a drink in 19 years:).
Anyway, if they are not mouth Brooders, there is something elso amiss.
If mouthbrooders, what else is necessary other than quarantining if I am lucky enough to catch him/her without loosing the "Mass"???
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi:
many people have reported their jawfish spawning in captivity, rearing the fry is a bit tricky but do-able. They they are mouth brooders to a point, they release planktonic fry approx 2-3mm in size.
Your are right that is the egg mass and you have two choices either allow the fry to be tank food or next time get the jawfish to breed in a closed refugium. If you can isolate the fry after release they should be able to eat enriched rotifers for the first meal
If I recall correctly the breeders registry has a couple of reports on what occurs.
Do a websearch for the breeders registry for more info.
frank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: