delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louis this is nothing new ... its old news ... it was in FAMA last May even ... this is just O.I.'s press release and desoite what they say ... they were not first ... Frank Baensch was ... I told you all about this last year in a earlier thread ... O.I. used copepods ... big deal ... Kona Blue Water Labs just last month reared 200 flame angels ... its on their website ...

Aloha!
JCD

Louis Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi JCD. From what I remember reading way back then they were using wild plankton tows. I didnt realize they had isolated a specific copepod out of the wild plankton tows and tested it. I didnt read that FAMA issue(the one that got away). Thanks for the lead on Kona labs - I'll have a look.

Mr. Angel

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
delbeek,
Talk about old news! Kona Blue water reared those angels 6 months ago!Where have you been! Please get your facts straight before spreading more of your misinformation around this forum!

Louis Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the Kona site and saw a reference date of Nov. '02 and the West Hawaii News date shows Dec. '02. I wasnt bothered by JCD's statement about how long ago. I am glad that JCD pointed the site out otherwise I or others may not have known about KBWF. Mr. Angel you must be in the know if you state 6 months ago (1-2 months ahead of the website). I am from Texas, far away from being in the know. I assume Islanders or westcoasters hear about this Hawaiian news sooner than others. So, I ask you then to keep the forum up to date on new press releases or published papers regarding rearing of Centropyge sp. This would definetly be appreciated so that no one has to be blamed for misinformation.

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go Mr. Angel:

FLAME ANGELFISH
HATCHERY BREAKTHROUGH
BY KONA COMPANY

CONTACT: Neil Anthony Sims, V.P./Research Director, or Dr Dale Sarver, President.

Mahimahi, opakapaka, kampachi … now add flame angelfish to the list of valuable marine species that have been reared by Kona Blue Water Farms over the last year at their hatchery facility at the Natural Energy Laboratory, at Keahole Point, Kona.

Following on from their breakthrough with opakapaka hatchery culture earlier this year, researchers at KBWF (a division of Black Pearls, Inc.) recently achieved the first known rearing of flame angelfish in larger numbers. Although several other researchers in Hawaii have produced angelfish in the hatchery in ones and twos over the past year, this is the first time, to our knowledge, that any angelfish species has been successfully reared in significant numbers.

The photograph shows Leslie Hain, a Researcher at KBWF, holding a beaker with a small sample of juvenile flame angels, from a group of over 100 that were recently reared.

The company claims that there is great commercial potential for producing flame angelfish – and other high value ornamental species - in the hatchery to supply to the aquarium trade. Producing these fish in the hatchery would alleviate the current pressure on wild stocks of tropical reef fish, which are targeted by aquarium-fish collectors in Kona. Aquarium-fish collecting has sparked some significant controversy in the last few years, with legislative moves to shut down the entire fishery, and a compromise agreement closing off over one third of the coastline to aquarium-fish divers.

This recent hatchery breakthrough may also herald opportunities for reef restocking of flame angels and other ornamental fishes. Particularly in areas where heavy fishing has occurred in the past, reef restocking could help to replenish the stocks of these beautiful fish, with long-term benefits for the environment, the local tourist economy and the recreational dive industry.

This cutting-edge research has been supported by a three-year research project into developing marine fish hatchery methods, from the Advanced Technology Program (ATP), under NIST, in the Department of Commerce.

Kona Blue Water Farms is also proposing to set up a pioneering offshore fish farm, for an area north of Keahole Point.

“We have submitted the paperwork to the State for our offshore fish farm proposal,” said Dr Dale Sarver, BPI President, “but the Environmental Assessment has not yet been circulated officially for public comment.”

Recognizing the interest among the Kona community in the fish farm proposal, BPI has placed the entire EA on their web site at www.blackpearlsinc.com. The site also includes transcripts of earlier public meetings, other background material, and a “Frequently Asked Questions” section that invites further discussion.

“We want to allow people to review our plans, and provide us with feedback” said Dr Sarver. “We believe that if people understand what we are proposing to do, there is a better chance that they will support our efforts.”

KBWF will rely exclusively on hatchery production to stock their farm with high-value local species, such as mahimahi (dolphinfish), opakapaka (deep-water snapper), and kampachi (kahala).

The company points to their recent hatchery successes with flame angels and opakapaka as the path to the future of aquaculture in Kona.

Wednesday, December 11, 2002
Kona, Hawaii

Attachments

• flames2.jpg
    flames2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 6,231

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about old news! Kona Blue water reared those angels 6 months ago!Where have you been! Please get your facts straight before spreading more of your misinformation around this forum!

Lets see ... on their website KBWF says:

"from a group of over 50 that have been recently reared at our Kona facility.11/15/02"

"from a group of over 100 that were recently reared."

So which is it? Or could it be these represent two batches? Or could it be that the 200 I refer to is from yet another later batch? I did not say the 200 was the FIRST batch. My source told me they reared 200 last month. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it. :P

JCD

Louis Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JCD, this Mr Angel sounds like a troll. Lurks in the shadows and really doesnt contribute. For him to make negative comments over something trivial(IMO) the same day he signs on seems pointless. He signed on the same day KBWF updated the website. Definitely not worth knowing anymore of his point of view.

Louis Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt worried but just trying to ridicule him so that he would reveal himself by posting a defense.

Mr. Angel

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
delbeek,
finally you respond! I was hoping you would before my vacation. Of course no one would seriously question a living legend such as yourself. Just messing with you.
peace bra,
Kirk

and to whoever squealed, thanks

Brad Gardner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Postedi n another forum:

Just got the new July issue of FAMA. There is an article from Frank Baensch titled " Marine Coepods and the culture of Two New Pygmy Anglefish Species. Quite a big spread I might add. The 2 new species are The Multicolor Angel and The Japanese Angel.

The magic bullet: copepods. He uses two types:

Cyclopid - Oithona simplex
Calanoid - Clausocalanus

Check out the link:

http://www.rcthawaii.com/

You can get one species of these captive breed Angles

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeppers. A few weeks ago I saw the C. interruptus in L.A. Purty li'l fishy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: