ReefMan29

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of clown in a 10gal nano and I want to get them to breed. Can anyone give me some tips cause I got no idea what I need to do to keep the fry and such. Thanks

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two maroone gold clowns in a 55gal. they were breeding and laying about 150 or so eggs about every 14 days. after the hurricanes i moved them to my 150gal. I havent seen any eggs since. think it is due to the stress of the hurricanes and the loss of power.
I think you need a bigger tank too.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 1994 and '95, I used to breed, with no problems, Amphiprion ocellaris in a 10 gallon tank. I've raised the babies in similar volume tanks, and traded them for store credit to my LFS.

Here is a video clip - from my old video files - with my breeding pair laying eggs.

Regards,

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is a general view of the breeding tank.

After raising the ocellaris fry, for about a month, in a 10 gallon tank, I moved them to a 40 gallon breeder.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bgger tank is a must cause the hatchlings will nuke the tank with that little volume.

Clownfishes is a must read if you wanna breed Clowns too. Very good book, IMO.

keyplayer56

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I just joined this site about 5 minutes ago, and here is my first post. u ready? OK. I've read the bible, and by bible I mean Wilkerson's book, and I think I have a pretty good idea of how to do this breeding thing. I was going to start with an already established ocellaris pair, 20g breeding tank, 5g hatch tank, and two 10g grow outs. I'm getting the live rock and sand and a fake anemone for them (because i think i might accidentally murder a live one). My questions are 1. will they host in the fake anemone, or just stare at me blankly when I put it in there...
2. This rotifer stuff is blowing my mind, do I really need to do all of this to get any of them to survive and be healthy. Is there any way to crush the flakes small enough?

also, I've already got some interested pet stores. How much should I charge per juvenile? what about individual people?
Thanks!
the rookie

kodji

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read you have to have live Rotifers to feed them. I have only just begun as well. Starting with an already established pair is the way to go. I only got a 55 gal. tank 2 weeks ago and the breeding pair already hatched some eggs. I am trying to move the anemone into a higher spot into a plastic pipe with small pieces of clay beside it. I want to be able to take the small piece of clay out of the tank with the eggs on it when the time is right. If anyone knows if this is a good idea please let me know. Naturally, the pair were laying the eggs on the biggest live rock in the tank. I would like to know more about raising rotifers as well if anyone knows.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Diana

danam770

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have recently joined and this is my first post. I have been breeding tomato clowns for about 1 year and have learned a lot by doing. The parent couple are housed in a 6 gal.Eclipse tank with no anemone, just live rock, and have been doing quite well. They do not necessarily need anemones. They lay the eggs on the rock anyway.
They surprised me by starting to spawn and for a long time I did not know what to do. Then I read all I could find and have been experimenting since with quite some success, I think. I have 2 5 gal.Eclipse hex tanks set up as rearing tanks. I do not feed live rotifers. The babies eat artificial rotifers mixed with live nanochlorophsis algae for a while, then newly hatched brine shrimp and frozen rotifers, again mixed with live algae, then they can graduate to finely ground flakes and Cyclop-Eeze frozen zooplankton. The survival rate is not very high, although higher than in nature. I currently have 15 healthy babies which I will sell.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: