felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hey all i have a 3 inch female gold striped maroon clown she is a stuburn fish* excuse my french I just bought a 1 inch male i know its a male because I split a paired in the pet shop and i dont want her to kill the new male i currently have them in a divider but i dont know if its ok to let him go in the tank.

Any ideas suggestion or opinions will help thanks to all my MR reefers

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Maybe put the little guy in a specimen container that has a closeable top and see how she acts towards him. If she swims all around the container curiously and doesn't try to attack him see what she does with the top open. She may just swim in and they may get along. If that happens let him out and monitor them closely being prepared to close the top again if she gets malicious and he goes back in for cover.

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
just tryed letting him out and thay did a little dancing and then back to fighting so i put him back in the container this is how i have it

Attachments

• IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 182
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Don't give up. Keep doing what you are and let out the little guy in small intervals while you can watch their behavior. A little aggression by the female is only normal and expected. She has to show the little guy that she is the "boss" and he has to accept her as the boss. I do the somthing similar when I am pair up older clowns and it works. One more thing I do after 4 days of catch and releasing the new male is to remove the male and specimen container for 2 days so the female can't see him at all and then reintroduce them again. This technique has worked everytime. I can't explain why but I think its because the female genuinely wants a mate and fears it will be taken away again so she accepts him this time. Sounds weird I know but sometimes you have to think outside the box. I hope it works for you too. Keep me up to date and good luck.

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
You could tell also if the female just bites him n bush him around not to kill him tho like usmc says she just want to let him go,I watch my clowns for 2 hour watching the female chasing the male around a nip hear n there won't kill him yeah he'll get his feathers ruffled up but its normal,but if you see that the female is chasing him fast n non of them is shaking n the male I running for dear life take him out,you will know cus he won't come out he will hide breathing hard and any chance the female see him she wil dart at him then you know its bad ,but if the male steps up and don't swim far an comes out to try his luck your good,but watch them closely bcus if you let them be with no supervising he be dead if you don't intervene ,I lost one or 2 so I know , I have 4 onyx n 1 platinum in a 34g all adult been in that tank for 1 yr I don't recommend no 1 to do that but darkreef is my witness but if I put any other clown he will be destroy in 1 hr

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Im getting a pair of juvis maroon to try to pair them. I think its the easiest way because both are males and around the same size and age. So it would only be a matter or which one becomes the female.
Eazyal. 4 and 1 in a 34 ehh. How old were the clowns when introduced to the tank?
I was thinking on keeping 2 gsm and 2 onyxes. But everywhere I read it said that it was a bad idea and that should only be tried in a 500g+ tank.

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I put my 4 onyx + 1 platinum when they were 5month old remember they are all percula and they were all put in the tank together ,I would put more then 2 gsm in 1 tank those are nasty motherf@#$3rs with their attitude. I have a lot of lr in my tank to hide just incase n I watch for weeks for any signs of any been bullied one use to hide but I never notice any damages marks on him,but I did had to thro food by his erea know he come out like a champ :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: