Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hi All,

I have TONs of pods in my frag tank (45g + 20g sump)
I see them swarming all over the place.

My frag tank currently has a yellow tang in it - wacky fish - likes to be pet and hand fed (was given to me).

Anyway - do I need to be concerned about the pod population control? Should I get a Mandarin?
Can I sustain a mandarin? Would it get along with the tang?

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
That's not necessarily true... You have to consider the amount of rock work and if there is any other creature competing with the mandarin for the pods in the same tank. Also, I think the age of the tank helps play a part in sustainable pod population.

I think you'll be just fine with a dragonet if there's no other competition for the pods and if you have a decent amount of live rock in there too. But those pods are feeding on something (cleaning up?), are you sure you want to get rid of them? :)

Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
hmmmm..good questions.

It's pretty much a bare bottom with the exception of a few pretty large rocks off to the sides.

There are some pretty large pods - i don't think 1/4" is an exaggeration.

Guess the question I have - do I have any concerns with pod overpopulation?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
While dragonet are extremely difficult especially mandarins, there are some success stories out there.
I've never gotten a mandarin to eat mysis but I do have two dragonets that eat frozen mysis and have survived for over a year now. One is a common brown scooter blenny and the other is a ruby red scooter blenny, both of the dragonet family.

Numi13

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've had a spotted mandarin in a 20g long frag tank for 2 1/2 years. I have a small CPRHOB refugium and he never looks hungry. He does eat flatworms also and I throw in bs nauplii once a month or so for the frags. Lots of pods in the tank and fuge.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: