• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mtxguy8

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hello i been battling icy for a week now comes and go do to the blue hippo tang i purchased 3 weeks ago. love the fish but i regret buying it cause blue hippo are icy magnet. anyway question is i know when medicating you supposed to take carbon out but how about the polishing pads,bio foam, sponges etc?? thanks in advance

mtxguy8

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
yeah thanks. i treated all my fish with the api fast cure it for 2 weeks and all are well, its just damn blue hippo tang that started the problem, and gets better and every other weeks he comes back with a few spots, but none of my other fish get it anymore. i follow a routine feeding with grinded ginger and garlic with their food and seems to do a hell of a job to prevent other fishes from getting it.

this is a reef tank and i know about cooper not to dump it in the display tank. i also bought the vet med no ich and is pretty damn good as well.

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
sorry to say but Copper and Hypo are the only known cures for Ich. There is no fast cure. It's a 6-8 week process or it will just keep coming back. Ich has a 4 week life cycle so it's impossible to kill it in 2 weeks. PLEASE do come research on this subject or you will have a frustrating time ahead. You must also leave your tank fishless for a min 6 weeks for it to die off in the tank. Been down this road before......

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
sorry to say but Copper and Hypo are the only known cures for Ich. There is no fast cure. It's a 6-8 week process or it will just keep coming back. Ich has a 4 week life cycle so it's impossible to kill it in 2 weeks. PLEASE do come research on this subject or you will have a frustrating time ahead. You must also leave your tank fishless for a min 6 weeks for it to die off in the tank. Been down this road before......

+1... Unfortunately the hippo keeps getting ich because the products that you've used have done nothing to cure it. Your tank has ich, and will remain with ich, till you remove all fish and let the ich die off.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I see this topic is very popular on MR regarding Ich. I have had ich and battled it and i have won the battle. If you know what you are doing and you are cautious about it you will be fine. There are several things that you need to do. 1. Invest in a quarantine tank like a 20 gallon let is cycle and keep it running even if it has no fish ( yes you are gonna say but that is very costly, but then think about this every time your fish dies from ich how much money that is then ofcourse you go back and prey that one has no ich and set it free into your Display Tank and then it infect all your other fish THATS ALOT OF MONEY and no one said this was a cheap hobby) 2. Once you have the QT tank Running then you need to dose it with either copper or coopermine i mean its the same thing but dose it when the fish are in the tank no need to does an empty tank. You need to treat every fish from Local Fish store or even if you bought it from someone of the forum. You dont know what their system has you don't know if the fish carrying ich. Some fish are able to live with ich and fight it. Also never trust any Local Fish store if they tell you their system is diseas free always come with the set of mind that the fish are sick and you need to cure them (there were numerous times i bought fish came home put them in my DT and three days later there it was ich, ok you will say the fish was stressed but ich doesnt come from stress it only triggers it and that why the fish start coming out with the marine ich, if your system was free of ich and the fish was stressed which they always are since its a new environment they wouldnt get ich after tretment) so always treat your fish with copper. 3. Once you have introduced the fish to the QT tank have them sit there 4-5 weeks, the reason i say 5 weeks its just a safety precausion. Do not put sand in the QT as ich will live in the sand it should be an empty tank ad some pvc in there for the fish to hide and make it as comfortable and stress free for them. Once you have caught your fish from your DT that is only if your tank has ich and you have relocated them to your QT tank you need to cycle your DT for 8 weeks but again safety precaution do 11 week (ok you will say that that a long time, well if you dont have the patients then this is not the hobby for you) once the 11 weeks go buy you can introduce the fish from the QT tank.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm all for quarantine. Fyi quarantine was invented by Italians, quaranta meaning 40 for the 40 days they'd keep incoming ships at sea until whatever might be on them went its course

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: