Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Alright i haven't been very active in a while due to graduating school and work etc but over the past few months I've been trying to get my tanks back to where it was a couple years ago, I've increased the frequency of water changes and tank cleanings etc.

A few days ago my pinktail trigger, I've had him probably about 2 years and he's about 3.5-4", started acting funny, bumping into the glass face first, didn't seem like he knew where he was going and what not. At first i thought he was just a little stressed from the changes in schedule but I've come to the conclusion that I'm nearly positive that he has gone blind. He was getting excited during feedings but wasn't able to find food and kept bumping the glass so i tried putting some pieces of defrosted frozen raw shrimp on the end of a skewer and placing it right in his face and low and behold i was able to feed him 3 nice size chunks which kind of makes me feel like I'm right since that's been his first meal in 3 or 4 days.

I've done some reading and its not totally unheard of and that most owners are forced to hand feed their fish for the rest of their lives. I have checked his eyes they're clear no sign of flukes etc he looks perfectly normal besides a visibly empty belly. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with something similar. Also if anyone can give me any recommendations on how i should vary his diet since I'm going to have to target feed him with a skewer or something similar so it has to be able to use that method. I'm figuring maybe vary between raw shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, calamari, non oily fish filet chunks.

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Update: got a second hand feeding in today, he's looking a little less distressed still clumsy and bumping into things but he's a little more active not hiding as much or breathing as heavily etc

Any input anyone has will be greatly appreciated

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Another update, still doesn't appear that his vision has come back yet. He's still bumping into things and gets excited when i put food in the tank but can't find it unless i put it basically right at his mouth but he's still eating well when i do.

Slight silver lining he doesn't seem to be bumping into the glass on the left and right of the tank anymore when he swims. ...he does however bump into front and back panes and other things in the tank, I'm thinking he can hear the mp10 on the left pane and the mp40 on the right so he knows when to loop back around.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: