Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I recently scrubbed all of my rock and got rid of all of the hair algae. I have a new skimmer on the tank and keeping my phosphates down using ROWA media and activated carbon in my phosban reactor...

What tang is the best grazer on hair algae? Very small amounts are starting to grow back and it is very low, right now I have been going in with a tooth brush and removing it manually. Figured I would get a tang to "mop up" in addition to the snails and hermit crabs.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Definitely a bristletooth. If you can swing it look into the whitetail bristletooth. Beautiful fish. Foxfaces are awesome also eventhough it's not a tang. Had good success with convict tangs also

Ryno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the previous posters about a bristle tooth: Kole, tomenensis, or whitetail. I have a fox face and he doesn't really graze now that he has a taste for prepared food.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Maybe a kole tang, my tank is only a 40 breeder. They are pretty active but mellow fish.

H2O2 would require I remove the rock again and it would kill other life that has been growing on and in the rock... Which would be a setback for me.

Ryno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tangs are awesome. Great personality. One of my favorite fish. I recently lost mine after more than 6 years and just replaced it with a tomenensis which is the same genus. I like it just as much

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Yeah, and while the stats say they grow over 6", I have never seen one get that big in captivity. I generally avoid tangs for small aquariums, but I think a Kole would do OK in my 40... Plenty of hiding places, caves and open rockwork design.

Ryno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It should be fine. My kole tang was still only 6 inches after 6 years so I doubt they get much bigger than that. And although they are very active most of their swimming is just going from one rock to the next to graze, not really an open water swimmer like my powder blue tang

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: