jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Anyone ever have these 2 together? I added the Orange back more recently and the red velvet was relentless chasing the orange back around the tank. This went on for 2 days before I place the Orange back in an acclimation container in the tank. He's healthy and eating like a pig in his cage, but I am wondering if I can ever get these to fish to coexist. Any experiences? Thanks.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have 2 velvets and a OB and they doing good. Fat pigs

good to hear!

I would keep him in the acclimation box a few more days and try again. I've had a lot of success with acclimation boxes I had 9 Wrasse in my 93 cube without any serious aggression.
What is the size difference between the two fish?

That's the plan, Going to fatten him up and se if the velvet wrasse backs off.

I think it is possible to house them together in a large enough tank, but they are pretty closely related and as noted, the Orange Back is a very shy and timid fairy wrasse.

Thanks Randy. The orange back being shy seems to be the consensus. I wish I added him first. Hopefully he comes around, or maybe I'll get rid of the red velvet wrasse. I have a lineatus wrase coming next week and don't want the same problem.

Red velvets can be very aggressive, and orange backs have never lasted long in my tanks with other aggressive wrasses

Thanks for the info Albano, I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: