Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Help with Potter's Angel

Hello all,
Looking for some thoughts regarding my potter's angel. I've had him for about 6 weeks. I did a 4 week qt (2 weeks with prazi), didn't do any copper. No signs of ick, velvet etc. Put him in my DT about 2 weeks ago. He's been grazing on algae but having trouble with food that's added to tank. He sticks close to the powerhead. He really likes swimming against the current. I'm wondering if he needs to get extra o2 in his gills, or if he just likes it? HE's NOT scratching against any rocks or doesn't have any signs of parasites. What really worries me is that when I shut the powerhead off he lays in the sand and seems in distress. He also doesn't really leave the power head. All of the chem in my tank is in good shape, other fish doing very well.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 10-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Reefer Ratings: (41 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
What size is the tank? What other fish do you have?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Send a Private Message
65 Gallon
Fish: 2 Clowns, 1 Flame, 1 B Anthis, 2 Chromes, 1 Royal Gamma, 1 Foxface 1 spot, 1 hoevens wrasse, 1 watchman goby, 1 damsel, 1 midas blenny.
Everyone is heathy and no real sign of aggression.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Reefer Ratings: (41 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Flame angel? If so that is most likely your issue.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Send a Private Message
I don't think so, both were in qt together, got them at the same time. No issues at all. Also flame is very small potters is med/lg. No issues w aggression.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 AM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
Potters are hard to acclimate in general. Did you see him eating at the store before you bought him?

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 10-27-2017, 03:46 AM
www.reeftrends.com
Vendor: Vendor - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (44 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Indeed VERY hard fish to keep, and will most likely not get along with the flame, long term.

Reef Trends
Aquarium Solution Services
707-666-FISH
Old 10-27-2017, 05:21 AM
Send a Private Message
I realize that he's tough but with a nice source of chaeto and algae I was able to get him through the qt period. When I put him in my DT he immediately began grazing on algae. However he has a lot of difficulty getting food from the water column.

I hear everybody about the flame but I watch the tank a lot and the flame doesn't even go near him. Was the same way when they were in qt together. The qt tank was only a 20 gallon and they both were fine. Unless you think it's just his presence. The potters does seem to have a nervous energy about him.

HE has always had a weird swimming pattern almost a little floppy like a clown fish, not as much as a clown but doesn't swim as smoothly as the flame. Also he swims a lot with his nose up. I called LA a few weeks ago and they said that was normal for a potters.

Last edited by jmc1024; 10-27-2017 at 05:34 AM..