Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Black Cap Jawfish

Hello all,
Was hoping to get some thoughts about my Black Cap Jawfish. He has these clear spots all over his fins. I'm not sure what they are? Was thinking bacterial but not sure. I had him in qt for a month was treated for ich and flukes with cupermine and prazi. These spots didn't develop until he was put in the DT. He's been in the DT for 5 days. He hasn't made a borrow yet. Might be getting picked on a bit by clowns but not sure. He is eating well, breathing is fine but spending a lot of time swimming.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Send a Private Message
No thoughts???
Old 03-25-2018, 09:38 AM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
Are you sure those are spots? It looks like a piece of the tail is missing and the top fin is missing too. Is something attacking it? It's strange that it hasn't found a hole or started to dig a barrow yet, which could be something is bother it. I would have thought that once the lights were out it would have built a barrow, you should place a small piece of PVC in the tank, which it should go into.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Send a Private Message
Clowns were attacking but that was because it was in their territory. He has since moved. He has made a crater like borrow in the sand. Kind of strange that it's not by rock. Does't seem very permanent I'm wondering if it could be caused by using tail to create a borrow in the sand?
Old 03-25-2018, 11:55 AM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
It will keep moving around until it finds a place it likes, so there is a good change you're going to have a number of borrows in the tank. The missing pieces on the tail and back fin are common and look like they come from being nipped at. The tail should grow back without a problem but just watch for the back fin as if it get bitten too much you could lose the fish from it.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Send a Private Message
With a little help (for me) he wound up making a nice borrow this morning. It's in a good spot and look like he's finally comfortable and it's going to last (fingers crossed). Guess I'll just keep an eye on the tail. Thanks for the thoughts!! Much appreciated.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (74 (100%)
Friends: (101)
Send a Private Message
looks like he just lost some scales.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:17 PM
Send a Private Message
New Home! Let's hope it stops him from getting picked on.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (74 (100%)
Friends: (101)
Send a Private Message
Looks good. My favorite fish!!