• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I got a half-black Pyramid Butterflyfish two day ago. When I found it it was similarly colored and selected it to photograph in home.

It seems a hybrid with the relative, Hemitaurichthys zoster from the Indian Ocean but I have no idea whether or not the two species co-occur anywhere.

Any idea for this one ?

Attachments

• HemPol8cmUnusual.jpg
    HemPol8cmUnusual.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,198

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen one with the half black body. I have this picture of a regular one from Saipan. I don't know if that helps you or not.

Attachments

• Butterfly enhanced color.jpg
    Butterfly enhanced color.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,146

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice pic.

Watch my fish on the tail that is dark. It cannot be seen in polylepis or zoster but thompsoni, but thompsoni is not one parent even if it is a hybrid among the Hemitaurichthys spp.

It has not changed its coloration yet.

Pavaphon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiroyuki,

At first glance, I thought that it might be the hybrid between the two as you suggested. H. zoster and H.polylepis. Due to the curving of the black color in the dorsal fin part.

But as you says, the problem is that where did they co-exist? is there any place that they could met each other?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: