Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've noticed the recent batches of yellow tangs coming into stores have very big nodule looking things attached to them. Does anyone have an idea what these may be?
IMG_7542.jpeg

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes that is Pets Warehouse but I have seen the same nodules on other tangs in other stores also. It looks like it is too big to be ich or velvet so I chalked it up to lymphocystis. You bought 4 but only one made it out of quarantine?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I believe those are fluke-like, specifically Monogenea, (or some other parasite), which does not seem to spread within the tank. They disappear with time, does not seem to spread onto other fish, (not sure if its the lifecycle or other biological reason they don't spread) It's possible my cleaner shrimps prevented them from spreading. I believe the ones shown are under the skin, which is why you see them as yellow. I may be completely wrong on them being a nematode or flatworm. I didn't pay too much attention to it, so never really investigated them. My fish weren't really affected and I didn't try to remove and examine them. They survived hyposalinity.

Note: There are other species of flukes, which go from fish to fish. That would spread in the aquarium, controlled with (prazipro?) I have also had those in the past, they are almost invisible to the eye, not what you are showing there. These live on the surface of the skin and can be seen flapping in the water, if the current blows backwards. Other species are internal, on the gills, or inside the mouth area, Not visible on the outside. Anyway, a freshwater dip or hypo salinity takes care of these. A cleaner shrimp will clear these.

Last edited:

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sorry to hear about the losses. Are you doing low salinity with copper at same time? What type of copper (Copper power, Curpamine, etc.)?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Sorry to hear about the losses. Are you doing low salinity with copper at same time? What type of copper (Copper power, Curpamine, etc.)?
Using hyposalinity conflicts with copper, pick one or the other, not both simultaneously. I do not believe these "parasites" would have caused your fish to die.

Note: I just looked at mine, I don't have a cleaner shrimp and it does have one on it also. It's been there for a year, with no ill effect, which means it was not affected by hyposalinity.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Using hyposalinity conflicts with copper, pick one or the other, not both simultaneously. I do not believe these "parasites" would have caused your fish to die.

Note: I just looked at mine, I don't have a cleaner shrimp and it does have one on it also. It's been there for a year, with no ill effect, which means it was not affected by hyposalinity.
I’m running CP for the ich, and Low salt to keep the fishes calm.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: