Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Yes, you can keep any zebrasoma with any acanrthurs, I definately didn't spell that right.
You can only keep 1 acanthurus, but you can keep multiple zebrasomas, even of the same species if you want to go for hyperdominance ( 6 or more). If you don't have 6 of 1 species, it's not going to work, and you will end up with 1. You have to add all 6 zebrasomas at the same time.
Adding any 2 acanthrus of different species will mostly likely not work in a normal sized aquarium. (except schooling convict tangs)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Oh, heh the ctenochaetus, since you asked are also not schooling fish, though they look like they are schooling, since there are giant schools of them (kole) over the reef, when one looks closer, they are actually acting individually.
Yes you can keep any one of this genus in the tank, with no conflict with the other tangs. The most commonly available are the 2 spot or the orange lined, of which the orange lined looks a bit better. the tommy, is a bit more expensive. Don't try to keep more than 1 of these, since they will starve out if there's isn't enough slime growing on the rocks, and they will clean it out really fast. I've had 2 of these starve out when the tank was too clean. (2 separate times, not keeping both at the same time). It may take a few months for the fish to convert to dry food.

TerraReef

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
homegrowncichlid has it pretty much covered, but I want to drive home the feeding. If you keep a fish only system with no live rock, plastic décor, and keep things extremely clean you may need to feed the tank 3-5 times per day to keep the fish alive.(and keeping an animal alive is a low bar) If you are keeping a healthy reef tank you still should feed very often. A huge reef tank with 12 tangs in it will end up with one in time if food is limited.

cactusdave60

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then sailfin, scopas, the two i really worried about, hippo, brown powder and flame fin is what i will go with. i already have one tank with 5 in it, time to try different mixture, plenty of live rock, and i dont feed my fish any dry food. well i thank you for your time and education, this one tough variety of fish to get a handle on, hours of research led me no where, surprisingly there are no in depth compatibility charts out there, like trying to make best poker hand.

TerraReef

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think a compatibility chart would be possible. A calculator might be possible, but insanely complicated. Enter your experience level, years in hobby, size of tank, density of coral, frequency with which you plan to feed, size of your refugium, fish you have already..... Even after that it would be general rules of thumb and people would end up with docile individuals that break the rules or other fish are particular pains in the butt despite how their species is supposed to act.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: