reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
"Hyper-Melaninization"

the fish has come into contact with a coral or anemone or other such invertebrate that has stung or injured the fish. The fish isn't sick, only those portions of the skin have changed their pigmentation.

evik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, I wouldn't worry. I have a pair of clowns for two years now and they used to have also some black spot which faded. They where appearing in different places on their body.

Once it appeared above females mouth like little beard and because she is very dominant we called her Hitler. By the way she is not Hitler any more even her personality didn't change, I feel sorry for her poor mate.

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its from aiptasia i think, i had the same prob, i had a huge one i couldnt get to but the clowns could, when i killed off the aiptasia the black marks went away

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
[
its from aiptasia i think, i had the same prob, i had a huge one i couldnt get to but the clowns could, when i killed off the aiptasia the black marks went away
/QUOTE]
meagheavz....what was ur trick to killing aiptasia? mainly was it natural? If so what? I have mediction, but I want a natural approach other than peppermint shrimp

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
thats odd .. arent clownfish saposed to live in anemones.. dont they have a special feature to stop this when hosting?

theres a couple theories why clownfish dont get stung by anemone, one of them is they have to get stung enough in order to produce the special mucus layer that protects them

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Brooklyn..I have to agree with the group who said it appears to be from stings.
One of my favorite sites says the following:
"It should be noted that anemonefish may develop black spots on their skin through contact with corals, corallimorphs, zoanthids and anemones with which they are not familiar. These spots tend to be larger and less uniform than those from turbellaria."

Zuska..Turbellaria is Black Ich..it looks like someone sprinkled the fish with pepper. Clearly not what this fish is dealing with.

Brooklyn..please do let us know how the fish is doing or if you see any other changes :)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: