JasonE

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
read carefully it says the first time collected from the cook islands ,these fish have been collected from indo and and northern australia for years

I'd doubt this is the same fish, you may be talking about smithvanizi, which used to be much more available a few years back.
Looks like privitera is endemic to the Cook Islands...see the original paper
http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/49/49rbz019-034.pdf

Last edited:

ZZROCOOL

BIG ROCK SMALL FISH
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think people negative reactions to high prices isn't unfounded. I think it's good that people here react to fish and corals that are price very high. In some case it may warranty the high price, but in a lot of case it doesn't. Myself personal I find the items in the Driver Den to be over priced, regardless of the care they give them. They do discount things quickly though, sometimes bring the price down to a good range.

A lot of people get caught up in "rare" things, whether the fish is better than the same 12 fish that everyone has. You'll also find that some people could care less what it look like or even if it's hard to keep, they just want it because it rare. These are the people were money isn't an issue and all they want is something good swimming around their tank. These are the "suckers", as Rich called them, who will buy the high priced fish in the Driver Den, more often than not.

Most of the fish are coming from the same distributors, what you see showing up at Live Aquaria, or other on-line places, are coming from the same sources that you see at your LFS. To see this just look at the sales that each place is running, you'll see it usually the same fish that are on sale. The quality is the same it's the shop and how they handle the fish that makes the difference. What you're not seeing at Live Aquaria, or other on-line places, are all the fish that die or are sick. And by the way not all fish or corals from Live Aquaria's Drive Den are disease free or don't die. I give them credit for Qt their fish but so do other on-line places. It's also nice that they list how they handle their fish, it's a good selling point for them.

That fine but it comes down to what is the premium Live Aquaria is going to charge for that service. Regardless whether they get the fish to you in better condition, as compared to LFS, there still is a price were it would be considered over priced.

Is this writing some where? The fish/corals that are sold in the Driver Den are held at their facilities in Wisconsin, all the other fish that that sell are shipped directly from wholesalers. As for being the best, well I've seen some fish that are pretty common and not in the best condition listed. I've also purchased some fish off of their web site and the fish I received was in better condition than the one that they had listed in the Driver Den.

I don't see this, not even close. You're comparing people complaining about not getting a discount, or LFS charging more than on-line places, vs a place that lists fish for a lot higher than normal, and in some case off the scale.

And in some case it makes them overpriced.

There is a difference between paying for quality and over paying. Once again just because some thing is expensive doesn't mean that it is equal in quality.

The Driver Den is a WYSISYG thing were Live Aquaria has found out they can charge more for corals & fish then they regularly do. You'll find a number of other places have also started to do this too.

On the record, I can afford that fish but I wouldn't buy it because I'm not into collecting things just because they're rare, and I do find it over priced too.

Still stating the obvious
I am not gonna argue with you any more about this, I'll agree to disagree!
You are unfortunately misinformed about the industry that you choose to support for your hobby, there are hundreds of wholesalers/importers and they are not all created equal. But think what you will!

As i mentioned in an earlier post JASONE reiterates and brings up a good point as does JHALE these might not be so easy to collect, and any Anthais that requires cooler water is not so simple to keep alive therefore making harder to get to your door which = ...........HIGH PRICE

ZZROCOOL

BIG ROCK SMALL FISH
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Its been over 2 days, and all three fishes are still available. I guess most collectors in the US don't think they are worth it.

That comment proves that you absolutely don't understand why person would buy a rare or unique fish/coral

Its the summer 1 and 2 its the weekend less people looking right now.
I bet they are all gone in the next 30 days! I know a store that sells high end fish and coral and will keep something in their tanks with out discounting until the right person walks in and buys it. There is a market for everything, especially the when it comes to the high end. It brings a smile to my face when a store has the balls to offer something that not every fish keeper / hobbyist cannot afford and not care about what the hobbyist "whines" about. Unless people are going to start talking about this topic in a mindful smart way then

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

lunner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
That comment proves that you absolutely don't understand why person would buy a rare or unique fish/coral

Come on, there is no need to get so hustle about this...
We all have different opinions. We are all different.

As far as buying rare or unique fish/coral. I think I have some of my collection posted in my gallery. Why not check it out before making that offensive statement.

As far this Privitera Anthias. I started this post to see what people think of it. No need to come in and flame everyone.

And of course I know it is from deep water, I quoted it. I currently keep my water temp in 76-78 range year round. Lowering it for this fish is not a problem, but I just don't think it is that attractive. As for price, I would not mind paying that $899 price for a new rare attractive Fairy wrasse. And I do think it is a fair price for that new anthias, if it is collected in such a depth.

This is the 1st time I was targeted this way any where by such language. And very rude. You are more then welcome to post comment in here but please there is no need to get all angry about this silly fish talk.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
There's a couple of things to be considered here. Short of what's been listed on Liveaquaria, nobody here has the faintest idea what it took to bring these fish to the US. Diving to 280 ft is fraught with danger, requiring ridiculously expensive equipment and skill. These were collected in the Cook Islands, pretty remote, so getting there and back is expensive.

As i mentioned in an earlier post JASONE reiterates and brings up a good point as does JHALE these might not be so easy to collect, and any Anthais that requires cooler water is not so simple to keep alive therefore making harder to get to your door which = ...........HIGH PRICE

It maybe a lot hardier to collect these fish, as opposed to other fish, but you need to take a few things into considering. First how many fish are they collecting on each drive. It could be 1,2,3...10 or 20, and not just this type of fish but other fish too. The amount of fish caught will have an impact on the overall price. Second what they're paying the people, who collect these fish, needs to be taking into account. There was a thread not to long ago, about a driver(s) dying, that discuss this. Finally the highest mark up is usually on the retail end.

So to determine if this fish is over price you need to know what LA paid for it. If they paid $500-$600+ a fish then you can determine that the price isn't that high. If they paid less, and maybe a lot less, then the fish is overpriced.

Also consider the fact that the price may be high to deter inexperienced/impulsive hobbyists from buying it.

I highly doubt that LA would put the price high to deter inexperienced/impulsive hobbyists from buying it. Remember this is a business and LA is looking to sell the fish as fast as they can. You're going to see this next week, when they put the "On Sale!" banner over the fish and drop the price.

Last edited:

lunner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
^^^^^ This is what I called debating in a civilized way.

I will not be surprise the main objective for that dive was not the Privitera Anthias.

Taking experience from other industry, prices are often set high on new or limited released product to cash in on the early adaptor. And this case is a bit different from the regular supply and demand because the source of supply is control much like the diamond or crude oil industry. But the bottom line for LA is still for profit, and not to deter inexperienced/ impulsive hobbyists from buying the fish.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
retail gets marked up 100%-300% normally.
I'm fairly sure LA did not get these fish for $10 dollars each.
In this case due to the rarity the mark up may have been a bit more.
Thanks to threads like this they are getting more advertising for the fish than
they could ever have hoped for :lol:
Someone with pockets as deep as where the anthias was collected will buy them.

JasonE

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unlikely they were going after much else at that depth. Only a few fish are collected from The Cooks Islands, Ventralis anthias (the true one, not the one out of Tonga), Galba damsels, Olivaceous anthias...
The only other Cook fish I've seen lately is the Galba.
Getting back to LA...you don't know how many they brought in... Say they brought in 6, and 3 died in shipping...the cost of the remaining 3 just doubled, and that is passed onto the end buyer.
The way I look at it is this...
This is the first time this fish has been seen in the hobby, it is difficult to collect, and maybe ship. As it stands right now, there is nothing to quantify whether this is overpriced or not as it is not being offered anywhere else.
It is probably priced in the same way as any other fish on LA.(just because the fish cost more doesn't mean the mark up should be less).

Hold on, I just found something to compare too...
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?cid=10&pid=2110&did=1

So, IMO, not overpriced when compared to the above...

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Not saying that the fish isn't beautiful or not worth it, but any fish that cost more than what I pay in gas for the week just doesn't belong in my tank. Personally I cant justify paying $900 for any fish. I like it though. I also don't think it has anything to do with the fishes worth but more about what people can afford during this time. Always wanted to buy from a mail order supplier but was always scared of opening a box of dead fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: