CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I came home and noticed my potters angel has a bubble over one eye.
Does anyone know what this is?
Also my coris wrasse is picking at it.
Im going to try to catch him and put him in the sump
Please Help?
10-26-08098.jpg

Last edited:

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CHEMCHEF
It could be from an injury, eye trauma, or an infection, and possibly the wrasse is trying to clean it.
As you will read here, there are many possible causes.
Do not remove the fish yet unless it is being severely harassed by the wrasse or other fish. Removing the fish will increase trauma and if a net is used it will rub the affected eye and could further injure it or spread the infection.
For us to try to figure out possibilities, please put some photographs and tel us if the fish is eating and behaving well.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
i kept my Barlett anthias well feed with lots of garlic about 1 month ago he had the same thing and he's absolutely perfect again. he hid for most of the time he was sick

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CHEMCHEF
I just saw the photograph and besides the eye problem the fish looks to have ich, so for some reason it is under stress.
Did you perform a water change and if so did you make sure that it was done at the correct temperature, slowly and at the right salinity?

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I uploadd a pic of the angel.
I does seem like the angel is giving the side with the eye problem to the wrasse and the wrasse is only picking at that eye.

Hi CHEMCHEF
It could be from an injury, eye trauma, or an infection, and possibly the wrasse is trying to clean it.
As you will read here, there are many possible causes.
Do not remove the fish yet unless it is being severely harassed by the wrasse or other fish. Removing the fish will increase trauma and if a net is used it will rub the affected eye and could further injure it or spread the infection.
For us to try to figure out possibilities, please put some photographs and tel us if the fish is eating and behaving well.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK CHEMCHEF
If the fish is eating well the suggestion given by JARRET SHARK and daceman is good,so you should follow it and avoid any water disturbance until the fish as recovered enough. Also do not remove the fish and it it looks for the "health cleaning services" of the wrasse, let it do so.

One good food with lots of garlic that angels like is Formula two and Formula Angel.

Formula_2_vegetais_com_alho.jpg

Formula_com_esponja.jpg

Keeps us informed

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
NO COOPER IF ITS A REEF TANK !!!!Time Will Tell Whats Wrong With Him, Just Get Garlic For Now And Some Cube Food And Just Be Alert. Never Hurts To Use Garlic When Feeding.If Its THE Wrasse You Will See Stress Right Away

I said to REMOVE the fish and then treat with copper. When ich attacks the eye it's usually pretty bad and should be treated right away, as it could turn into a secondary infection which is very hard to cure. It doesn't hurt to use garlic but it's not a proven cure all the time and a fish that is bad will usually die unless you treat it.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Garlic it is then!!
Can i just grind up some garilc with a little ro water and sqeeze the juice through fabric to remove the solids, and use that garlic juice to soak some mysis???

Just trying to "Think like a Chef"

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic it is then!!
Can i just grind up some garilc with a little ro water and sqeeze the juice through fabric to remove the solids, and use that garlic juice to soak some mysis???

Just trying to "Think like a Chef"

You can CHEMCHEF, but it would work better if the juice was absorbed by a more absorbent food than the mysys, and that would be floating pellets or flakes. Another alternative far more easy than that, is the use of the foods I suggested you as they are quite complete and formula two has both the garlic juice and the garlic solids that the fish like. Basically you let the cube melt to a softened point and then you macerate it roughly, and give it to the fish. As long as it is eating well it should eat eagerly this food.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
The product is called Garlic Extreme by Kent, It's the best product I've used yet. It's pretty concentrated but for the first few days i tripled the dosage and fed lightly three times a day

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the help.
I went to the LFS this morning and got /kent Garlic extreme.
I have done one feeding so far, and all the fish ate. Except sohal.
Can I soak nori with garlic, bcs it is all the sohal eats.
Also the directions say i can dose 1 drop per ten gallons of water (Im thinking, including the drops on the food) Is this beneficial?
Thanks

Hi ;-)

Here is the Garlic Extreme Daceman is mentioning

lg_525234_FS26675D.jpg

Garlic Extreme form Kent

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

kigs

<3 palytoxin
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
Hey James - when my anthias had a popeye similar to your potter's, I was told that it's usually caused by a wound + problem with the water parameters. Have you tested your ammonia, nitrates or nitrites level yet? As many have already mentioned, good water quality and proper feeding will make it usually go away in time. If it continues to get worse, try Maracyn 2 in a QT tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: