DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
helppppppp me someone please

I have just realized my smaller clown and tailspot are missing

No idea what happened
last week added mandarin and clam (small maxima)

built fuge in back compartment last week also

I WANNA FIND THEM< I LOVE THOSE TWO FISH

any ideas

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Could they have gotten into the new fuge somehow?
Any aggressive tankmates or corals that eat fish (like a carpet?)

Try not feeding the tank for the rest of the day and see if they come out tomorrow for breakfast?

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
ok so as for the fuge that overflow would almost be impossible for them to get into it. I do have a bunch of CUC and a cleaner, a coral banded, harlequin and all snails and stuff

I AM FREAKING OUT. I feed the tank (sorry before i read your post kathy) and no sign of the tailspot or small clown.
I must say I never realized how much I love my fish until RIGHT NOW. I seriously hope they are both ok and show but have a bad feeling. I would at least like to know what happened.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
They have to be somewhere Coop!
I don't personally put a lot of stock in the clean up crew totally demolishing the remains of a fish overnight. I have a 120 with a bunch of hermits, bristleworms and the usual compliment of CUC and when my Flame Angel vanished a few months back for a week (knew it was a goner as it was ALWAYS out in the open)..it was about 5 days before it resurfaced from inside of the rockwork..partially eaten but most of it was still there (gross & disgusting, but there...)
I somehow doubt in your nano that the fish were eaten up overnight even if they did perish. Hopefully they are just being shy for whatever reason. :)

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I hope so as well Kathy. I just took skimmer out of back chamber to make sure no fish in the back and nothing. They gotta be somewhere within the rock work.
I am soooooo upset. I wonder if I did anything wrong.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where Are My Fish?

They went here, can you blame them?

40730347.G9hHfOR0.stefebeach_edit3A.jpg

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Kathy, I have to disagree with you. I had several fish disappear when I had my 29g tank. It was entirely enclosed and there is no way they could have jumped out. I never found a single carcass. If they die in the rockwork, unless something disrupts the body, it will stay blocked in there.

Sorry, but it is my opinion that is that if those fish are always out in the open and you haven't seen them all day, they are probably dead. :(

PS - not to give you more bad news, but there is no way that a 28g tank will sustain a mandarin. I made the mistake of putting one in my 29g tank, and if you think it's heartbreaking to wake up one day and have fish mysteriously missing (and presumed dead), it is 100x more heartbreaking to watch one of your fish slowly wasting away. I tried external pod cultures and any number of things to keep him alive and I managed it for about 6 months before he finally disappeared. And I never saw the body.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I think the Mandarin will be a test but I feel as long as I supply ample pods and train it to eat prepared foods it will stand a chance!
I hear you and hope to prove you wrong. If it doesn't seem like it is going well though, I will find him a new home before its too late.
I am so upset about these two fish missing, especially that tailspot.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sometimes fish die and there's no rhyme or reason to it. :( One of the worst things about the hobby. I doubt you did anything wrong.

This is my last word on the mandarin - I looked at the photos you posted in your other thread and he is already thin - on the first photo, I can see the line on his side which indicates that his belly is just starting to sink in. Next time mine comes out, I'll take a photo so you can see what one looks like when it's 100% healthy. Almost all the ones in the store, unless it just came in, are on the thinner side. They should look fat and round all over.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy, I have to disagree with you. I had several fish disappear when I had my 29g tank. It was entirely enclosed and there is no way they could have jumped out. I never found a single carcass. If they die in the rockwork, unless something disrupts the body, it will stay blocked in there.

Sorry, but it is my opinion that is that if those fish are always out in the open and you haven't seen them all day, they are probably dead. :(
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. Apparently something disrupted the body of my Flame and it reappeared in the open, but as mentioned, it was far from being totally eaten with a single day which was my point.
I also knew from day 1 that it was dead, simply couldn't locate it and obviously knew it didn't jump as all of my tanks have covers.
Two fish vanishing on the same day would lead me to believe that there was an illness in the tank, which Coop doesn't allude to. There is still the possibility that one or both may be hiding. I'd still remain hopeful and take it from there.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
not to give you more bad news, but there is no way that a 28g tank will sustain a mandarin
have to agree, i have tried these a few times, and i have a ton of pods as well as i put a bottle a month, as for a fish being eaten over night had it done enough times, was a little left just so i knew it was a fish but not much else left

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Just something to keep in mind about Mandarins...once they stop eating, they do not re-start. I have no idea why but I have heard about it numerous times. You could put a starving one into a bottle of pods and they won't eat a single one...so please don't wait too long to make the decision :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: