• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ferrybongo13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
RE: Clown Tang

Well I have had my clown tang in my 180 for over a week....and I have not seen it eat at all...during feeding time it swims around like crazy...but I do not see him eating any big food at all.....I have 3 pepermint shrimp in my tank and the tang swims up to them as if awaiting a cleaning...too bad i have no cleaner shrimp....just re-arranged some rock in my tank.
My tank is in my basement and I only view it alittle each day....every time i check.....he is swimming around....my half back angel is giving him a hard time,,,,not too bad....any suggestions?
He has no visable parisites...dots or fin damage...seems very healthy.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
what are u attempting to feed him? Is the clown tang picking at the rocks?

I would try seaweed and mysis shrimp. I have an achilles tang that would only eat seaweed for about 2 months b4 he started accepting other foods now he eats everything.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Did you see it eat before you bought it?Try some dry seaweed on a clip or brake some up in the water.Clown tangs can be a hand full.They don't like a lot of company in a small tank imo and sometimes refuse to eat .I had one that just swam around in a circle tirelessly and died from starvation.

N

nycoralguy

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
seaweed might work,if it dosn't, sink a peice of romaine lettuce in to the tank, if that dosn't work, try LIVE brine. good luck, tough fish to keep for a long term.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a clown tang in a 180 FOWLR. He loves mysis shrimp, small Spectrum pellets and seaweed. I've also seen him eat hair algae. IME they will NOT eat larger food items and really need the seaweed to maintain weight and health.

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above realy. These are a hyper metabolism fish with an appalingly ineficient digestive system so you need to cram as much food down them as you can..

Having seaweed on a clip throughout the day for the fish to graze on between manual feeds of Mysis, small krill, brine and various pellet foods will help it along, and it will limit aggression. If its bored and having to forage for a snack all the time it will gradually see the tank and every bit of algae in it as a priority food source...once that happens it can be the start of a slippery downhill slope. lineatus tangs in this situation will commonly start picking off thier tank mates in an effort to protect that food source..

Regards

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: