Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I did enrich the BBS I used when I took the few from you and it seemed to be fine for a couple of weeks and then poof! They died :mad:

Hmm, there's a couple of things going on here, either nutrition deficiency or intraspecific competition/dominance.
Would you say they were eating right until they died? or did they stop eatting, become very shy and reclusive, and then die a few days later?

Plus, did the fry you have survive longer then Ming's lot? How much longer did they live eatting the enriched BBS? or did yours and Mings die around the same time, showing BBS enrichment didn't affect them.

Lastly, what size were they?

Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I took the fry from Ming after he got them to a certain point. They all ate right up until they died. Behavior was absolutely normal.

I spoke to some of the "experts" at MACNA in Atlanta a year or so ago and they said that the fry are prone to some kind of bacteria and usually do better with some low amount of meds to protect them. I'm not sure if that is what happened. I do think I had the fry eating pieces of mysis too but I can't remember anymore.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Ultimately, for the fry to do well, i need to put them back into the sump/refugium and let them forage for themselves. That is the most natural setting that I have, with constant water flow and food particles a drift. I'm sure if one had a giant refugium with a constant supply of live shrimps and copepods, raising them wouldn't be a problem.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I plan on selling the fry in the next couple of months once the females catch up in size to the males, at about one inch. As far as I can see, if you have a large refugium, you can easily keep 1 or 2 in there, and let them forage off the critters that drift by.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I guess its about time to sell these fish out, got 12 left, too hard to tell whos a female, but I can definately tell whos a male, since the males are displaying to each other. Females and non-aggressive males sort of hang out together. They are eating freezed dried cyclopeeze. They were fertilized August 7, and released at the beginning of September, so that makes them 6 + months old now.
$15 each.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there away to figure out which Bangaii is the male? I have just 1 Bangaii Cardinal and I want to add another so I can pair then up but I have no idea how to figure out which one is the male?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: