A

Anonymous

I have no idea what that is called, and this is totally not really related to that at all, but I was wondering

If I take an extra metal halide light I have from my reef, and mount it in my basement, could I keep my wife's plants down there over the winter and have them survive until the next spring? She has about tripled her collection and last winter we had absolutely no spare room in the house for all her pots, so I thought I would put them down there but its really dark and damp

so would that work, or could I just use a regular halogen light for that?

A

Anonymous

To cut down on electricity consumption you can use flourescent or incandescent plant lights or I know a guy that uses regular flourescent lighting though he has an awful big green thumb. :)

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

If you're talking terrestrial plants, then your MH would have to be supplemented with lighting that's stronger in the red end of the spectrum. Terrestrial houseplants will usually do quite well under a bank of daylight shop lights, I'd mix warm daylights in there. A Vitalite or two would also be helpful. The thing with using fluoros is that, just as with aquatics, the further from the source the plant is, the more difficult it's going to be for it to make use of PAR.

To the best of my knowledge, Gro-Lux and similar bulbs are no longer produced for sale here in the U.S. - all that pot growing ya know.

A

Anonymous

yeah its terrestial plants, like that passion flower. Thanks for the replies, now I know which direction to run to at least

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say it would work fine for overwintering, ive seen plants grown in wardrobes with just a MH security light on it, no special bulb. Id probably use an old one as i beleave the CRI may have shifted more in your favour, and besides, thei just overwintering.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use your halides, talk to the local greenhouse and they can set you up with bulbs. IIRC one 400 watt halide can effectively light a 4'x4' area.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a big industry centered around indoor gardening with halide and similar lights. The main groups that use them, other than pot growers of course, are hydroponic and orchid growers.

Ultimately, any bright light will do.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the replies

No its not for pot. My only vices are Guiness and food

Its really just to keep growing these plants, we have several really sweet ones that we want to keep growing all winter

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bulbs ranging from spot shaped floods to regular flouros to halides, sodium, and mercury vapor can all be used for terrestrial houseplants

many don't need as much light as people think to do well over winter inside- alot of our houseplants are actually found in very shaded areas

ferns, african violets, begonias, and most common flowering houseplants will do very well under standard 4-6' shop lights w/regular 'daylight flouro bulbs

the mh bulb will do fine by most plants-it's main limitation is one of area coverage

hth

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbs up Guinness...thats an aquired taste...anyways yes the red part of the spectrum is what you want and i think Dan is on the money with getting different bulbs..MH's would work fine and actually would be great for terrestrial plants just need a differnt bulb for the different spectrum...again thumbs up on the Guinness!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LordNikon":s2t09ckh said:
thumbs up Guinness...thats an aquired taste...anyways yes the red part of the spectrum is what you want and i think Dan is on the money with getting different bulbs..MH's would work fine and actually would be great for terrestrial plants just need a differnt bulb for the different spectrum...again thumbs up on the Guinness!

Actually I think the taste was bred into me

hehe

Irish and all ya know

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my wife is Irish too now

Irish by injection

hehe

Prolly shouldn't of said that

Sublime-1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HPS, or high pressure sodium is more suited for vegetative growth (greenery).

Wheras Metal Halides spectrum is more heavily suited for Flowering Growth (orchids, lily' etc.)

You may need to supplement with PC lighting or Daylight VHO if you want them to thrive.

Also, beware of moisture as you may introduce mold and rot in a humid musty basement.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: