JeffB

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added about 50 to 60 lbs of bogwood to a 55 and the water color is drivin me nutts. Any suggestions? Will carbon take it out or do I just live with it?

I am currently running a HOB filter and have it stuffed with carbon but to not much avail any other suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanic acids don't get removed from water too well if your only using carbon. Water changes are effective, but that will take some time. Your best bet is to soak the bog wood in buckets for awhile while the they leach the acids. As a side note, any amazonian fish will absolutely adore you for the bogwood with the tanic acids in them!

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could boil the bogwood or you could put a diatom filter on the tank. If you keep AMazonian fish, JTLYK, a lot of people TRY to get it that way! But its up to your prefrences, they sell clear-water chemicals but i dont reccomend those. :D :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I boiled my wood, off and on, for a number of days. Eventually the water stayed clear enough and it made no discoloration in the aquarium.

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mines only just stopped leaching massive ammounts after about a year or so. takes time.

JeffB

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Im bout to get some chemipure and see what happens. I have had bogwood b4 but wasnt this bad hehehe

Thanks for the replys

Jeff

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure is not cheap, and you better off doing water change. It will take months, no matter if you use chemipure or not.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chemipure is extremely cheap, and if the wood is fairly close to finishing it's leaching, it will do a very nice job of removing any and all tint from the water

if you buy chemi pure by the case, a full unit w/shipping should avg out to less than $5 a unit, one unit will take care of about 20-30 gal of water volume for at least 2-3 months, re: tint absorbtion

it really depends on what stage the wood is, to determine whether or not the chemipure's (or any other type ab/adsorbent ) rate of removal is fast enough

why do you say it's not cheap, dupaboy1992 ?

adinsxq

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few months now and piece of wood is still discoloring the water. In past experiences (and in this case), water changes have been the best (though not great) solution for me. I wish I'd boiled this time around, but didn't have the equipment. Oh well :P

Attachments

• 1922planted10-4-1-med.jpg
    1922planted10-4-1-med.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 118

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiling is the only thing I know that really helps, other than that it's patience and water changes when the color gets bad. I've had pieces tint the water for up to 5-6 months but usually less if boiled repeatedly in clean water. Larger pieces I just let sit in a tup outside and change the water as often as I can. At least it's not bad for the fish, just looks ugly to most. I would avoid chemicals personally.

Giancarlo

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: