K9coral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where to get a pirahna (or 3) from?
I really want several for my freshwater tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me caution you that these are tremendously boring fish. Once the novelty of saying "I have pirahna" wears off, they don't have much to offer. Just big, stupid tetras. Might as well get a pacu - same thing really.

Jim

K9coral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but most fish are really boring after while!
Need to try something different. Eventually I will get tired of them and set them free in the wild! (LOL J/K)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is illegal to have them in California. A young girl caught one out of our lake here a few summers ago. It made the News.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most places, I think, its illegal to ship "Piranhas" so they are sold as "Silver tetras"
I heard this but dont know if its true?????

ElMonoCalvo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept Piranha for a couple years in college and wouldn't consider them boring fish. I went to school in Philly and got mine from a shady Mom & Pop type joint. They always seemed to have a couple in stock :wink: .

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most often I've seen pacu, which look almost for all the world like a piranha. I've actually found piranha to be rather sensitive to water quality, but definitely as prone to having a "spaz attack" as pacu.

Feed them BUGS! They go BERZERK! (Plus, it's good for 'em.)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because it IS a piranha. It's just a species that eats nuts, that's all. 8)

Jim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ElMonoCalvo":vms9chwz said:
I kept Piranha for a couple years in college and wouldn't consider them boring fish. I went to school in Philly and got mine from a shady Mom & Pop type joint. They always seemed to have a couple in stock :wink: .

They're not boring I suppose, if you like stupid fish. :) I tend to compare everything freshwater to the cichlid family, which isn't fair I know. Stupid fish have their place. In fact, I may set up a stupid fish aquarium myself at some point, a fully planted one.

Jim

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean Floor here in Phoenix has a *ton* of Pacu in their big display tanks...big, nasty, pirahna looking fish. Really messy eaters like the pirahna (they're closely related) so make sure you've got great filtration.
Major diff. between the 2 is that Pacu are vegetarians...the ones at our zoo go nuts over grapes!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a stupid fish (ok maybe they are). I bought one when I was in the sixth grade, and it died just three years ago. He was the size of a nickle when I bought him, and he lived happily in a 20g tank for 13 years! Sad to see him go, developed some sort of tumors and eventually stopped eating.

If you can afford it, get a black piranah, not the common red belly. And if you really want to see them go nuts, feed 'em beef heart.

Pacus are cool too (have one huge one) but they get too big IMO.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DLART89":3ngnwqds said:
LOL -your stupid!!!

J/K

:lol: :lol:

What I mean is, they are not intelligent fish, no presence, charisma or personality like a large cichlid. Cool in their own way, but pacu are cheaper, and legal. They just get huge. :?
The only difference between a pacu and a pirahna is dentition and diet. Pacu are nut eating pirahnas, pirahna are flesh eating pacus.
Jim

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your reasoning for wanting them?

Just because they're "predators" that you can feed endless feeder goldfish to? That's the Beavis and Butthead mentality - don't even start. You'll lose interest and be wasting their lives and those of the feeder fish that are a lousy and unnecessary diet anyways. Those guys always end up back at the store after a few months and don't understand why I don't want their stupid piranha back.

Because they look cool?
Meh, sure. I like some weird lookin' fish so I can't really argue with you. Plan for a bigger tank and keep a group and you might enjoy them a little more. Avoid live food - it's unnecessary and I fully agree with Bob Fenner's observation that feeding large live foods makes fish more aggressive. Unless you enjoy watching your pets kill each other over time. Personally I think that's rather sick.

Or just because it's something you've never done before and it's a new frontier? They're definitely interesting fish physically and will be quite striking given good water conditions (something most owners don't give them because, like I said, they're largely a Beavis and Butthead pet).

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I *was* trying to offer you some insight into piranha keeping, given that I've dealt with a lot of piranha customers over the years and seen largely disappointing results.
It seems you just want something that can kill other things. When you lose interest in your piranha, I suggest you release them into a public water system and then go into the forest and find small mammals to torture.

ElMonoCalvo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are messy eaters, live fed or otherwise, so water quality is an issue. I found keeping a couple of crawfish in the tank with them to cleanup their scraps went a long way to keeping them healthy. And as long as they were well fed they left the crawfish alone but if they got hungry they could always pinch the tails and suck the heads :twisted: .

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: