Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.5 minibow that I've set up in my daughter's room for some (*groan*) gift fish... two bettas, one male and one female.

Two questions here:

The female has already proven herself to be somewhat of a houdini. I put her on the left side of the tank, with the divider in place, the next morning, she was on the right. I have not added the male as of yet. Figured out she managed to bump the divider around until it made a path big enough for her to squeeze through. She hasn't moved back to the other side in the last three weeks. Is it safe to go ahead and add the male? If not, is there some way that I can safely wedge that divider so that it won't move around?

Second question: Diatoms. Anything I can do to get rid of them or should I just wait them out?

Thanks!
J.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to worry about male and females fighting, its only the males that engage in WW3. If you dont want the babies then remove the eggs if they appear in the bubble nest.

dodo99

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two male bettas and two females. The males/females DO fight. Mating is quite rough and nasty. Nipping of fins & nasty bites are common during mating.

I've had a problem with 2.5 devider as well. Just make sure there's no substrate under it when you slide it in, and afterwards. (Assuming you're using a substrate) One lil' pebble can create a wider opening on one side.

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read, male bettas will kill females if they are not ready to breed when they are. Hence, my level of concern about the divider.

No substrate is under it. I'm just using glass decorative pebbles for the "gravel". Figured it would be easier for my daughter to keep that clean than actual aquarium gravel. (I am attempting to show her how to take care of her own tank.)

All righty then, if you think all is well with this... I'll go ahead and add him today and just keep an eye out for roaming fish.

Thanks!
J.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: