• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got 2 more cory cats and 1 seems to have problems swimming. It seemed fine in the store and the way home with the exception of slightly increased breathing which I figured was from stress. However the fish cannot swim straight, it kinda goes in loop-de-loops. It was lying on its side last night and I though it was gone, in a last ditch attempt I turned the lights off in an attempt to calm the fish down. Sure enough 2 min. later he was up and seemingly okay 8O :? . There are no aspects of disease or anything, he seems fine except for the swimming/resting problem and slightly increased breathing. Is this fish on its way out or is it something like a swim bladder disfunction? Any help is appreciated, ty. :)

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the fish died anyway. :( :cry: Even if it was something internal, which it probably was, survival of the fittest kicked in. :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on cory's... Do they need surface air to breath correctly? I have a little albino guy, and he will be fine, then all of a sudden he'll hit the top of the surface water, almost for a gulp of air, then he's fine again.

Anybody else have this?

~wings~

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a common behavior, my other corys occasionally like to zip up and down the glass together, up and down up and down for like half an hour.

Beats me to why they go up for a gulp tho. :)

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is quite normal, they are used to shallow waters and equiped with a labyrinth organ to breathe directly from the air. They seem to do it regardless of water quality, mine actually hit the glass lids from time to time when they do this :)

Giancarlo

Studz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, well I'm glad that they are ment to do that...

I have an albino Cory and a bronze one, and the albino one whizzes every where, like an idiot, but the the bronze is really relaxed and just swims around peacefully, but seems to like swimming into the filter stream which makes the fish swim backwards every time.

they are cool fish and quiet amusing to watch.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: