Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have many ? about making a hospital tank. do i have to cycle a hospital tank or can i fill it up with a water change from my main tank? do i need a filter on it? i fill bad for my tangs there still alive but look very bad. do i have to put any sand or rock in a hospital tank? please help going to try and take out all my live rock from my tank tonite so i can get them out?

knutez24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Using water from the tank would def be a good move especially if you tangs are in rough shape. I would have at least a basic filter on the tank. I don't keep sand in mine but do put some live rock in. More to give the fish a place to "hide" I've seen others just put some pvc fittings in the tank (a T or elbow) just to give them a place. You don't want to much in there so you can monitor the fish in the tank.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Using water from the tank would def be a good move especially if you tangs are in rough shape. I would have at least a basic filter on the tank. I don't keep sand in mine but do put some live rock in. More to give the fish a place to "hide" I've seen others just put some pvc fittings in the tank (a T or elbow) just to give them a place. You don't want to much in there so you can monitor the fish in the tank.

1+

Additected To MR =D Lol

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Have many ? about making a hospital tank. do i have to cycle a hospital tank or can i fill it up with a water change from my main tank? do i need a filter on it? i fill bad for my tangs there still alive but look very bad. do i have to put any sand or rock in a hospital tank? please help going to try and take out all my live rock from my tank tonite so i can get them out?

What size tank r u goin to use as your hospital tank btw?

Additected To MR =D Lol

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Powerfilter w/ seeded media, air pump for proper oxygenation, non-Porous objects to create hiding places..anythin porous will hold bacteria and said bacteria will be killed by ionic copper( cuprimine, paraguard, etc) and cause ammonia spikes. Definetly get vitamin food supplements and consider foods with a lot of hufas( highly unsaturated fatty acids) these will stimulate the immune system and provide the fish with enough energy to resist the problem At least 20 gallons as well, small tanks create a lot of added stress.

Remember treating the fish will only alleviate the symptoms, the main tank has an infestation that is the cause.

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Keep it very simple. pvc is the way to go for hiding places. If you use LR, and use medication or copper that rock is done. All beneficial bacteria will die. You never be able to use it again. Also very important use a air stone.

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Try ionic copper. Cuprimine, para guard, sea cure are all good. Ionic copper works more easily because its absorbed by the fish through passive diffusion. Throwing an antibiotic like nitrofurazone will also help kickstart antibody production. You may want to try quick cure before the others because not only does it have malachite which contains copper but formalyn which will dissolve the slime coat and allow the maalachite to act more quickly.

Fishluva513

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Powerfilter w/ seeded media, air pump for proper oxygenation, non-Porous objects to create hiding places..anythin porous will hold bacteria and said bacteria will be killed by ionic copper( cuprimine, paraguard, etc) and cause ammonia spikes.

Wouldn't the seeded media b killed also being that it's seeded with bacteria? Just wondering

I use a bs hob filter no power heads. A couple of pvc fittings. Use airline tubing to suck up any detritus. Read up on hyposalinity it helps alot. Hypo is always my first choice copper is my last

Matty'sCornerAquariums

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Copper is a heavy metal and the majority of it will be cocentrated in the tNk. You WILL lose some but have LR in the tank will be a disaster. Hyposalinty works for thw trophants on the fish themselves but will do nothing for tomant division. The best course of treatment for parasites in a reef is aggressive prevention. Uv sterilizers, regular maintenance, and food supplements.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The problem with putting LR in a hospital tank isn't that the bacteria will die, some will but a lot will still live, is that the LR is going to absorb some of the copper. This will cause you to have to add more copper to get it up to the correct level. Also, if you plan on using copper you need to get a good test kit, because if you don't treat at the copper level it's not going to work, and if you treat at too high of a level the fish can actually die. I use Copper Powder, as it lets you treat higher level without the worry of over dosing.

If you're sure that your fish have Ich, then it's probably better to use Hypo. If you go that way you're going to need to get a Refactormeter, as measuring the SG is very important.

As for a tank, it's probably best to get a large Rubbermaid container, like the 50gal. The good thing about the Rubbermaid containers is when you're not using it to treat fish, or quarantine them, you can use it to store things.

Also, there is no magic cure to ich, it takes time, usually 2 weeks after the last spot you see fall off the fish. And you want to leave the main tank empty of fish for 6 - 8 weeks, this way you'll be sure the ich in the main tank is gone. Going forward you want to make sure you quarantine all you fish, even if you get them from places that say they've quarantine them.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: