MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I started the cycle about 6 weeks ago. I used a shrimp, left it in for 6 days and got a ammonia spike. Cycle day ~14 the ammonia dropped to 0 and the nitrite was are 3-5ppm (API test kit). I am now on cycle day ~40 and the nitrite is still 3-5ppm. The Nitrates are around 60 and holding steady. It's been 3+ weeks with the Nitrites at 3-5ppm with no signs of coming down.

Ive tested the kit when the nitrite was non existent and it showed 0 and watch it rise. So the kit is still valid. The tank was set up with Key Largo Dry rock and brand new sand.

Ive been dropping in a Mysis Shrimp cube every week or so to feed the tank, and the ammonia remains at 0.

It's been a long time with nitrite. What should I do? I never had it last this long.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First, I would try a new test kit. That being said, you have a good amount of nitrates and no ammonia, so I would think the tank is probably cycle and the reading on the test kit is probably wrong. At this point you should do a water change to bring the nitrates down. I would then start to add a couple of hermits and see how it goes.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Try a new nitrite kit. Check out your nitrite with Salifert or ELOS and see what it reads, or even a new API kit.
Just because your kit showed zero doesn't mean it is measuring it accurately. Your theory is flawed.

Russ

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Your theory is flawed.
Russ

Thanks, Russ :D Just saying, if it read 0 when i just added water then I watched it go from 0.0 - .25 - .5 - 1.0 anyone would assume that its remotely accurate. But you're right, ill pick up a new kit this weekend.

ok, It's a 40g, so ill do 10g this weekend and buy some hermits. Is it safe for 2 clown fish after the WC?

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
ok, got all new Salifert kits.

I did a 10g (40g tank)WC and readings are:
A:0
Nitrite 1ppm
Nitrate 50

So the API was correct. What should I do? Im gonna pick up like 10 or so crabs to toss in. Should I put a pair of clowns in?

Im gonna do another 10g wc tomorrow also

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You need to let the tank finish cycling, as for some reason it's not done and you have nitrites still. There maybe some matter that is decaying, which is producing ammonia, and since you're tank is new it doesn't have enough bacteria to cover it all to nitrates. I'm not sure that Key Largo Dry rock is, is that like Margo's rock? That may have matter that is still decaying.

As for adding livestock, don't add any fish until the nitrites are zero.

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
So I did two 10g water changes and the nitrite is still 1 and Nitrates are still 50-80. Which I understand the Bactria doesnt chill in the water column, so the nitrite shouldnt have moved much, but the Nitrates didnt change. I found that odd. It's been 4 weeks now with the nitrite at 1.

I dont understand what is the issue.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: