AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have a open brain coral that my mated pair of ocellaris clowns are hosting. The coral is slowly dying and I don't know why. All my parameters are on point. My question is should I try and replace this brain coral with a similar one or would they know the difference? I feel bad just letting it die and then they have nothing to host. I'm sure they would be pissed cause the defend their home and don't let any fish or my hand near it lol.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
clowns host anything even glass. I would not worry about them I would worry more about the coral. it seems that they are killing it slowly by hosting it.

100% correct

My clowns hosted and ultimately KILLED, a 16" Wall Hammer (show size and quality), a 50 head Torch, and a Lobophyllia. I was heartbroken after each one of those corals died.

Russ

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Eating had nothing to do with it. You are correct that they irritated the coral by rubbing against it that the fleshy polyps were worn down to the calcareous skeleton. Very sad to watch.

Russ
Well either way those fawkers are responsible lol. I had a very nice purple and green one, I think my tangs and hermits destroyed it. It started to show a little skeleton and never had a chance to come back it was the only thing that died. I always saw creatures picking at it. Everything else was mint it was fine for several months then just a slow demise. :( Was a damn nice piece too. Now I keep my delicates in a seperate tank with no fish or anything to keep them safe lol

AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Yea it looks like the tentacles or whatever they are called are all rubbed down. Some skeleton is showing. As for a anemone, I do have the room but I am afraid of it moving and stinging my other corals. I have to much in this tank to risk an anemone. Thank you all for the replies.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Yea it looks like the tentacles or whatever they are called are all rubbed down. Some skeleton is showing. As for a anemone, I do have the room but I am afraid of it moving and stinging my other corals. I have to much in this tank to risk an anemone. Thank you all for the replies.

After the clowns kill your brain they'll move on to the next LPS. Therefore, getting an anemone or getting rid of the clowns are the two best options. I added an RBTA only after my clowns killed my wall hammer, torch and lobophyllia and the rest of my LPS have never been happier.

I'd add an anemone, but that's JMO. ;) You stand to lose more livestock (specifically LPS) if you don't.

Russ

AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
After the clowns kill your brain they'll move on to the next LPS. Therefore, getting an anemone or getting rid of the clowns are the two best options. I added an RBTA only after my clowns killed my wall hammer, torch and lobophyllia and the rest of my LPS have never been happier.

I'd add an anemone, but that's JMO. ;) You stand to lose more livestock (specifically LPS) if you don't.

Russ

Russ if I did add an anemone, which I really do want but am afraid of. Where would be a good place to put it so it wouldn't move? High lighting? High flow? Low lighting? Low flow? Will it actually sting everything in it's path if it does move? I am running Cree 3 watt LEDs

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Russ if I did add an anemone, which I really do want but am afraid of. Where would be a good place to put it so it wouldn't move? High lighting? High flow? Low lighting? Low flow? Will it actually sting everything in it's path if it does move? I am running Cree 3 watt LEDs

Since putting an anemone in your tank doesn't involve securing it in place, the only way to really keep it where you want it is by placing it on a rock island surrounded by a sandbed.

They do not necessarily sting everything in their path, but the possibility certainly exists.

If you can place the anemone in a place it doesn't want to move, because the conditions are right, that would be great. Good flow, high light and no real close neighbors.

Good luck,
Russ

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
since putting an anemone in your tank doesn't involve securing it in place, the only way to really keep it where you want it is by placing it on a rock island surrounded by a sandbed.

They do not necessarily sting everything in their path, but the possibility certainly exists.

If you can place the anemone in a place it doesn't want to move, because the conditions are right, that would be great. Good flow, high light and no real close neighbors.

Good luck,
russ
+1

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: