pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
DIY or off the shelf?
I have no experience with DIY LEDs but with off the shelf fixtures, I would say because of the 30" height, you would want 3w emitters. There are various chinese branded fixtures that are all similiar and also rebranded by US importers but are roughly similiar in looks and dimensions. Some will have focal optics but most will not. They will most often be a 15.75"x8.5" pendant housing 40 three watt emitters and with separate on/off switches for whites and blues. These units are usually not controllable but sometimes manually dimmable.
If you went with these type of pendants, I would say 4 fixtures placed perpendicular to the front pane and spaced evenly across the 7'.
If you wanted fully controllable units, you would need to look into AI units. I don't think that there is a US distributor for the Pacific Sun 160w pendants right now, that might change though. Acan lighting are not modular and they have what I would consider a unique 5 phase user selected kelvin setting but not really 100% controllable such as the AI or Pacific Sun units. Then there is also the Reef Tech 180w pendants that are fully controllable but are newly released.

You should also look into Wingo LEDs, he has a nice unveiling of several different types of LEDs that are warranted by him and look very promising as well as pricing.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: