Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
chris288 said:
Keep in mind that some of these topics are still debated here (BB, DSB, SSB) I'd love to do a standardized set-up for specifically sized tanks, to include flow, best skimmers for one's budget, lighting and the need for a chiller, among a million other things we must plan for, but that may be difficult for us to agree on. Or would it?

I would rather steer clear of this, and simply state... "you need to do your home work on your desired methods and brands"

I wanted to make this more of a check list that someone could make notes next to each item for themselves. Hopefully it could help in the decision making, cost analysis etc...

All great points though and should be noted somewhere to help keep one on track.

Thanks!

Rich

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
froggie is so right, all the little stuff adds up, $$$$$$.

how come everytime i go to order something my total is $100+ no matter what?

also do not overlook the cost of plumbing fittings, OMG how did I spend on that stuff? And you never seem to have the right things even after 5 orders placed with savko :rolleyes:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Rborgia said:
ohh yeah plumbing... hehe. Thx JH.

yeah tell me about it ,the plumbing cost nowadays:afro:
Today i went to my storage and returned 2 bags of fittings and a radiator i got back over $600 and tok my garbage brass fitting and sold it to the recycling ,got $240 for garbage ,lol ,,,,Prices are way out of this world for plumbing parts ,unless you have stock laying around
just wanted to share the price of plumbing
srry for the sight hijack
:backtotop

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Rich: When I started planning I picked up some books and started reading. One thing I wish I did was start with the biggest tank I could afford and of course that my wife would allow in our living room. As far as spreadsheets or calculators I've seen a whole bunch on RC for calculating electrical costs to figuring out how much sand you'll need. I can't remember the title of the book but there was a great checklist in this book The New Marine Aquarium by Michael D. Paletta

Last edited:

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks Ernesto... and np Deep... Plumbing is insane! I never realized how much I was spending till I took stuff back to Lowes one day... It was only $60.00 in returns, but it wasn't all that many items.

I have started working on a document... its coming out more like a book... hehe... not sure if this is what I want, but it seems to get the point across... here is what I have now:

This is not formatted as I have it on MS Word but you get the idea... I have also selected a couple photos from members whom I will contact via PM to get their approval before adding the pictures. I also need to proof read and make corrections... and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Reef Aquarium Check list

This document was designed to assist in the process of planning and setting up a reef aquarium. Due to the many variables, methodologies, and opinions I have aimed at keeping this as simple as possible. “Simple” shouldn’t be taken with a grain of salt (no pun intended); nothing about a reef aquarium is simple… and the designing and planning in my opinion the most important step.

I will be breaking it down as follows:

1. Research (read and learn, look at other tanks)
2. Budgeting, shopping and long term expense (spreadsheets, electric bills)
3. Getting Started - Your goals (describe what you want to achieve)
4. Description of (your) tank (measurements & capacity, Reef Ready or standard)
5. Equipment check list (with notes)
6. Design planning (drawings, models and plumbing)
7. Supplies & Consumables (salt, test kits, food)
8. Live Stock
9. Disaster recovery and prevention

One of the most important steps in planning a reef aquarium is research. You need to read and learn as much as you can to prepare yourself. There are many books and the internet has countless web sites that are aimed at assisting people from the beginner to the advanced reef keeper. With a reef aquarium you will never know it all.

To be successful in reef keeping you will need lots of patience. In the end the results are amazing.

www.Manhattanreefs.com - February 2006 Tank of the Month
Member: pecan2phat

Section 1 - Research

One thing about reef keeping is there are so many other people that are interested and currently successfully keeping a reef and you wouldn’t even know it. The people that are successfully keeping a reef are your best source of knowledge. There are many books available on the subject and countless websites which are aimed at reef aquariums, but nothing beats first hand knowledge from someone you can meet and shake hands with. The vast amount of knowledge being shared through each of these mechanisms is priceless. There are many different beliefs and methods to go about keeping a reef. You need to read and determine which you like and which you feel best suits you.

Things to research

There are so many things to be researched I couldn’t possible list them all. However, here are a few for consideration and some of which create great controversy (try to avoid the controversy, read and make your own decisions). This list is in no particular order.

1. Filtration Methods
a. Sumps
b. Protein Skimmers
c. Canister filters

2. Sand beds
a. Deep Sand Beds
b. Shallow Sand Beds
c. Bare Bottom

3. Type of Reef you want
a. SPS
b. LPS
c. Mixed

4. Lighting
a. Metal Halide
b. T5
c. Power Compacts
d. NO / VHO

Section 1 – Research continued

With the vast amount of information available, your head will spin. Many people who get into the reef keeping hobby had no idea of everything that is involved. Again, read as much as you can and make a decision based on what you have learned and understood. Ask questions! Lots of them, but don’t take every answer as the right answer. The only right answer will be that which you decide, and the one that makes you happy and most comfortable.

Places to do your research

Research can be done in many ways; the local library, buying books, the internet, and fellow hobbyist. I will point you in the right direction; it’s up to you to pick and choose which work best for you. I hope we all know how to utilize our local library; I won’t be going any further into that.

1. Books

There are many books by various authors, some better then others. Many of the books are redundant and cover the same thing as the next. There are a few notable authors which have proven themselves in the field and should be looked at. Here are just a few:

a. Julian Sprung
b. J. Charles Delbeek
c. Albert J. Thiel

2. Internet

The internet is a virtual world with countless numbers of people and resources for all to use.
Through the years a few very reliable web sites dedicated to Reef aquariums have become the virtual homes of people that share there knowledge and opinions on the subject. This should be one of your primary methods of gaining the necessary knowledge to begin a reef aquarium.

Here are a couple websites:

a. Manhattan Reefs – http://www.manhattanreefs.com (New York City Area)
b. Reef Central – http://www.reefcentral.com

Section 1 – Research continued

3. Fellow hobbyist

Probably one of the best possible resources one can have is the other hobbyist keeping their own reefs. These are the people you can meet and shake hands with and develop friendship while sharing a mutual addiction… reef keeping. Hobbyist have done lots of research and tried many things, they can give you direction and a lending hand when needed. You can make many friends, trade coral and group together to save money by buying bulk. There are many more reasons why I believe the hobbyist is the best possible source, but won’t get any deeper.

Section 2 - Budgeting, Shopping and long term expense

Reef keeping is an extremely expensive venture. But one you can control if done properly. The long term use of consumables like fish food, media for filters and reactors and of course there is the electricity bill. All of these can be controlled but they will never be eliminated.

One thing anyone getting into the hobby needs to consider is a budget. Set a budget and adhere to it as strictly as possible. The numbers will add up fast. When considering the budget you need to think the immediate initial expense, and the long term expense. I personally decided on an initial budget for gathering the necessary hardware (tank, stand, filters, lights etc) and then worked up what I was willing to spend each month on electricity and consumables.

I keep mentioning the electric bill and consumables; this is because so many people never even consider this. Consumables are items like fish and invertebrate food, Calcium for a Calcium reactor and CO2 which is also for a calcium reactor, carbon and phosban to help remove unwanted impurities from the water and any additive you wish to put into your system.

Shopping for everything you need from the tank to the fish food can be done haphazardly or intelligently… hopefully you choose to be intelligent about the way you go about shopping. Here, just like with keeping a reef patience is a virtue. Take your time and price things out. Get prices from at least three sources before making a decision. The internet is your friend! There are a lot of place out there that can save you tons of money. While shopping, create a spread sheet and list each item and the various sellers with their prices for easier comparison.

Buying used equipment from other hobbyists is another way of saving money. Make sure you carefully check each item for functionality and if possible have the seller turn the device on. Another way other hobbyists can save you money is by buying bulk. If you are starting a Reef aquarium you know you will be needing lots of salt. Look for “group buys”. A group buy is simple a group of people looking to order either the same thing as you or other items from one source. By simply providing the source with a volume order you can usually save a considerable amount of money.

Last edited:

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i'm a bit OCD, so when i was gonna set up my first reef tank i listed all the equipment i needed. for example lighting, all the equipment going in the tank and finally the sump and plumbing. then i pictured everything the way i wanted it. this way i could troubleshoot any problems. this isn't to say that once you set up your system there still won't be minor complications. but it helps a great deal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: