TheDumbSter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have been trying to get info on setting up led dimming on the the apex controller and have had no luck so I'm asking the community on any info that you guys can provide me with, parts and instruction ect...

Thanks in advance!

diy bought from reefledlights.com and i have them wired to pots for dimming but would like to wire directly to the apex. Also wanted to know if I could connect to the internet wirelessly?

Yeah if you want to connect them to the Apex to be dimmed, you need the Neptune VDM. And yeah im sure you can connect to it wirelessly with the internet because you can connect to the apex with the internet you just need to set it up, kind of a complicated process IMO but you can figure it out. If you google "unofficial neptune apex user guide" theres a really nice write up on how to set pretty much everything with the apex

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Reefs

TheDumbSter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Yeah if you want to connect them to the Apex to be dimmed, you need the Neptune VDM. And yeah im sure you can connect to it wirelessly with the internet because you can connect to the apex with the internet you just need to set it up, kind of a complicated process IMO but you can figure it out. If you google "unofficial neptune apex user guide" theres a really nice write up on how to set pretty much everything with the apex

i saw that guide. cool ill look at it.

TheDumbSter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
If you have any questions on the internet setup i can try to answer them. Also if you have an android theres a cool free app that lets you see your apex directly on your screen as a widget

I looked at the unofficial guide and saw a game controller adapter for wireless hook up.. can you explain what it is and where to purchase?

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The Apex does not need the VDM to control dimming, it is built in. The Meanwell drivers need to be the D version and you can connect the blue/white dim control direct to the Apex V(x) ports. You'll also want the latest firmware for better control.

TheDumbSter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
The Apex does not need the VDM to control dimming, it is built in. The Meanwell drivers need to be the D version and you can connect the blue/white dim control direct to the Apex V(x) ports. You'll also want the latest firmware for better control.

ok cool got that. now to connect the unit to the internet wirelessly, how is that done?

ok cool got that. now to connect the unit to the internet wirelessly, how is that done?

Can you not hardwire the unit into your router? The unit needs to be connected to your router and then you access it through your browser by simply typing in http://apex in the URL field but it can only be accessed by a computer using that router. Theres a whole other process if you want to access it from any other internet network which includes making your own page. Its explained in the guide. I recommend you dont make the unit itself wireless to communicate with your router because it can simply be hardwired and you can save yourself some headaches, plus you cant update firmware wirelessly according to the guide.

TheDumbSter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Can you not hardwire the unit into your router? The unit needs to be connected to your router and then you access it through your browser by simply typing in http://apex in the URL field but it can only be accessed by a computer using that router. Theres a whole other process if you want to access it from any other internet network which includes making your own page. Its explained in the guide. I recommend you dont make the unit itself wireless to communicate with your router because it can simply be hardwired and you can save yourself some headaches, plus you cant update firmware wirelessly according to the guide.

hardwired is not an option i can only update firmware but not keep it wired.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've never created my own custom page for it but I'm sure you could, I just use the built in one. If you do want to access the controller via the web you'll need to program the router to allow you in from the outside, along with port forwarding as most providers block the web port (80) inbound. The downside of course is by opening your controller to the outside anyone can technically control your tank so make sure you change the username/password to something difficult to guess.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: