Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi guys, I am in the process of setting up a 120gl. reef. I need some help with choosing an appropriate pump. I have a dual 1" overflow hangon box, I need a preferably external pump to pump the water through two SCWDs back into the tank. I had originally purchased a LG 5.5, but unfortunately it was on it's last days. It was tremendously noisy,and heated my water to 84 degrees without a heater or lights. So that had to go back to the seller. I did have to throttle it back a little bit. I know have a Rio 3100 hooked up to a single hose, and that is working out for now. But I want to go back to my original plan of having the water return to the tank via the 2 SCWD. I do not want powerheads in my tank. I am considering the Mag 12 or 18 running externally. A friend wants to sell me his Iwaki 40rlt, but since it is rated for 700gph I am afraid that it will not be strong enough water movement.

What I want is something rated at around 1200gph,quiet,inexpensive, and for it not to heated up my water. As far as lighting goes I intend to run 4/48" Uri VHO, and two 250 watt MH. The heater a Titanium 200 watt is in the sump. What do you guys suggest? :confused:

L

LOVEMYREEF

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
If your asking opinions i think yr contradicting...not to heat up water but yr adding 250watt halides?

the pump- the only thing i can say is CHEAP and GOOD dont go togther. your getting what you pay for remember that.
i think you will be better off with 2 of those iwaki's and i feel its better to have 1 for each side anyway.
put them on 2 different outlets if possible, blow a fuse yr ok cause yr still pushing water.
no loss.

good luck

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Lovemyreef: Thanks for your imput.

If your asking opinions i think yr contradicting...not to heat up water but yr adding 250watt halides?
Exactly why I don't need a pump that is going to contripute to a over heating problem. I'm gonna have enough to deal with with the MH.

the pump- the only thing i can say is CHEAP and GOOD dont go togther. your getting what you pay for remember that.
Yes, I know. Which is why I said inexpensive, not cheap. There has got be something in the middle.

How do you feel about the Mag Drive pumps?

i think you will be better off with 2 of those iwaki's and i feel its better to have 1 for each side anyway.
This option is not available due to space.

put them on 2 different outlets if possible, blow a fuse yr ok cause yr still pushing water.
no loss.
Funny you should say this. I told hubby he has to get the electrician in here to set us up with a seperate circuit just for the tank. He doesn't believe me. We shall see.

L

LOVEMYREEF

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
well i personally wouldnt run a tank on mag drives
just my opinion.

i do like iwaki...
and my cousin runs little giants.

good luck with the tank

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Iwaki MD-55RLT (which I run 2 on my 125) will cost $291). That's $58.00 a year over 5 years or one nice coral. Think about the life cycle costs rather than the initial cost. Another reason to go with Iwaki is that almost every part can be replaced individually rather than replacing the entire pump if something goes wrong. If you can't afford new buy a good used one.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi guys: I want to thank you all for your advice. I have actually purchased a used Iwaki40RLT from a friend. I guess I did good. I will be running one of the squids on this pump, and following Lovemyreef's advice, i'll run the other squid on an submirsuble pump. It made alot of sense that if one pump goes, the other will keep my floors from being flooded. Giving me time to get another. Special thank you to Lovemyreef.

L

LOVEMYREEF

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
anytime... and if your in brooklyn give me a shout..and im sure i can get u a frag of something.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: