CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
What to do?????
I have been battling this problem for a few months.
Here are the steps I have taken so far.
5 - 10 gallon water changes a week on a 30 gal system.
Running carbon.
Running Phosban.
Pyroxide dosing 1 ml. for every 10 gallon for approx. 5 weeks. Now up to 5 ml. per ten gallons for 8 days. I do not know if upping this dosage is safe.
I cut the lights for three days, three times so far, just to keep it in check a little. However it is amazing how fast it comes back.
I have also cut back on lighting to 8 hours actinic and 6 hours daylight.
Corals an fish are doing quite well but I need to get this under control before it gets out of hand.Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
P.S. All params seem good. Phosphates are .01 according to the Joke,, Sailifert test.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
it took me a few months to get rid of it.....I did my 10% WC every week, but every other day I did a few gallon W/Cs by siphoning out as much as I can also. I started dosing Special Blend and still do a weekly maintainence. If the Salifert Phos kit reads .01 its alot higher than that...gotta bring them down...W/Cs, cut feedings, better filtration, slowly increase the phosban, more macros in the fuge, lighten the bioload etc...

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I don't want to tell you the wrong thing, so just becareful whit what i am doing. This seems to be working for me. As of right now I am not running gfo and my phosphate is pretty high, but my dyno seems to be retrieving. I am dosing peroxide, 2ml for every ten gallon, and I am dosing vodka 0.3ml per ten gallon (so less then 1ml). I left the light off for two days while dosing this amount and kept this amount after turning on the lights. When I turned on the light, the tank was much clearer (this was a week ago)dyno is receding, but i have a bit of algae ( i am assuming because my phosphate is high, 0.12ppm with hanna checker). This issue started about a month ago, still do not know what happen, my feeding is light and a use a specrapure to make ro/di with instant ocean salt. Before this outbreak, i was only dosing kent part a and b for nano tanks.
If you try I hope it helps, because dyno are a pita, and i am really frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I didn't remove any media, the only thing that was changed when I started seeing a change was, that i switched from reef crystal salt to instant ocean. Honestly i don't think that was the reason, I think it got introduced with a frag. Read my post above, today I came back and the tank looks better, not super clear, but i don't have any bobble trapped in the live rock.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I followed mikes instructions and with a lot of work was able to get the dinos down to about 20% of what they where ! One thing I did that helped was I took a ball of cheto and placed it in my display by the areas of high concentration of dinos this seemed to help! What finally hit the nail in the coffin for me after months of aggressive water, carbon , gfo change and Manual removal of was the product zeozym !!

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Hi Barry. I would like to pick up some of that red macro from you. LMK when is good for you.
I'm pretty shot for the weekend,,,, 4 weddings to cater,, ugh.
PM me when you have time.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I didn't remove any media, the only thing that was changed when I started seeing a change was, that i switched from reef crystal salt to instant ocean. Honestly i don't think that was the reason, I think it got introduced with a frag. Read my post above, today I came back and the tank looks better, not super clear, but i don't have any bobble trapped in the live rock.

The only media I have is a pre filter sponge that I clean bi weekly.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Btw another thing I did was get a powerful light for my fuge and left it on 24/7 this grew my cheto much better after I got rid of dinos I put in an led bulb to save energy and not heat tank !!

Guys dinos Is the worst of all the nuisance algae bc it will take over ur tank even with great water quality!! U must take quick and extreme action against it !!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: