• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Doc

Reef Doctor
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hey there everyone. I was just on a trip in israel talking to acousin who is a florist. We were talking about the evaporation of the water from the tank and where it eventually ended up: The furniture in the room. This would lead to mositure problems like mildew and such. I looked in to a dehumidifier for a while, but they are expensive and use quite a bit of power. So he came up with a simple solution. A cactus. :idea: Place one in the room and it will absorb the moisture in the air. If you place one near direct sunlight then they would need to be watered, otherwise not. The evaporation should be enough. So what to you all think?

Doc

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Hey Doc
Ma-inyanim
How big of a cactus do you need to absorb mositure ?
Do you need a big one or just one of those little guys

Doc

Reef Doctor
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The size of the cactus is dependant on the amount of evaporation. I have a small one for my 55 gallon with sump and it's working well. There is no exact number of water particles to size ratio that I'm aware of for cacti so it would have to be a bit experimentational. I have mine for about a week sitting on my mail table by the tank and you can definetely feel the difference. Any one else out there try this? What are your results?

Doc

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Doc, great idea.
Do you know if it will need direct sunlight? I have my tank in the basement and I could use the natural dehumidification but don't have natural light there.

I think this is a killer idea. Hope it works.
Russ

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
My dehumidifier pulls about 5-8 gallons of water a day in the summer, how many pots of cactus do you think I need to remove that kind of moisture?:lol:
You can actually feel less moisture in the air by adding a pot of cactus? I actually need a humidifier in the house during the winter months due to the heat drying out the air.

Good concept but I don't think cactus can pull large amount of moisture from the air.. Guys, just think how much your system evaporates everyday and the same mass of water needs to be stored and used by the cactus on a daily basis to effectively remove the moisture in you house.

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dont know what your talking about, this cactus is obviously pulling something out the air:D

cactus.jpg

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i dont think that guy will be laughing anymore when he tries to get up.

my tank evaporates about 3 gallons a day at this point, i cant imagine a cactus using up that much water...

Doc

Reef Doctor
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have no natural light by my tank. The cactus gets light from my PC, just like my tank. I'm not saying it would take all the moisture out, but it does help and doesn't use electricity. For those of us wothout a dehumidifier, I thought it would be an interesting idea. My wife is always stating that she doesn't like the idea of the mositure going into the couches in the room, so now it al least pateially going somewhere else.

When I used to walk into my room with the tank from the outside, it used to feel a bit more damp/humid. That snsation is now gone. That's all I'm saying. Not that all the water is gone, but some of it is.

My $.02
Doc

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Doc said:
I have no natural light by my tank. The cactus gets light from my PC, just like my tank. I'm not saying it would take all the moisture out, but it does help and doesn't use electricity. For those of us wothout a dehumidifier, I thought it would be an interesting idea. My wife is always stating that she doesn't like the idea of the mositure going into the couches in the room, so now it al least pateially going somewhere else.

When I used to walk into my room with the tank from the outside, it used to feel a bit more damp/humid. That snsation is now gone. That's all I'm saying. Not that all the water is gone, but some of it is.

My $.02
Doc

Thanks for the idea, Doc. I have a nano, so a lil' cactus would be ideal for my room.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
it is deffinitely an interesting idea, i just dont see it being that significant.
i guess because my tank is in my living room and right across my front door, so everytime i open the door the moisture must be escaping...

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
alrha said:
it is deffinitely an interesting idea, i just dont see it being that significant.
i guess because my tank is in my living room and right across my front door, so everytime i open the door the moisture must be escaping...

If the humidity outside is less than the humidity inside, then I'd think you might have a point.
During the hazy, hot and humid days of summer though, the humidity outside could be higher than inside, in which case I'd think the reverse would take place and you'd get even more humidity rushing into your place.

JMO
R

BTW Andre, I was wondering if that second pic was on self timer......ouch.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: