Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just saw a snail on my Fire n Ice zoo colony- which used to be a nice and populated small tonga branch is now a thin stick only half covered in zoos. The snail was really in w/ the zoos- is it possible it was eating them??? :irked:

Had a conical shell- came from the gulf of mexico (not sure the exact kind)...

Thanks!

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Sundial Snail?....watch out.
main.php

Last edited:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
could those sundials have shells that are more pointy? Mine have that type of mark, but are much more pronounced of a cone. I am going to get rid of anything I see on the zoos.

Strange this really has to have happened only in the last week or so- but I have not added any snails for a while. I wonder what they were eating before?

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
the shells have that marking - but are much more conical- very pointy.

any thoughts as to what else could be the cause? i don't have much in my tank I don't know about - a reef-safe urchin (pencil tip size- I forget the kind, but I asked about it a little while back on the forums), blue leg hermits, snails (most for the gulf of mexico- typical cleaner crew), a very bad mantis who I will get if its the end of me...other than that not much else I can find.

Last edited:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
-bump-
Something's still eating my zoos! Half my Fire n Ice colony is gone :(

Saw one of my hermits on them today- took him out of the tank. Could the blue legged hermits be the cause? I've had them in my tank since the beginning- and never had a problem until a few weeks ago w/ any zoos being killed off. Could it just have been a rouge hermit or those snails?

Nothing else is being eaten- just those particular zoos! Ideas?

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Reefer420,

I believe I have the same snails as you... they look like the sundial (the color pattern) but have a longer shell. I had two which I picked out yesterday and threw into the fuge for now.

I'm going to do some searching and see if I can get an answer. I had asked about them some time ago, but I was told Sundial as well...

Here is a pic from about a month maybe two months ago... it has grown and has a friend now. The shells have elongated as well.

Newsnail.jpg

Rich

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Sundials are not known to have elongated shells. And unlike most snails encountered in reef tanks, the "point" of the shell is carried sideways (like the picture Solbby provided).

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hmmm... so you don't think that my hermits are the most likely culprit?

I wonder why this pest would have taken so long to surface... and leave all but my top two zoo colonies alone! Going to have to keep zoo sitting until I find the cause! btw- a mantis wouldn't be doing this, would it?

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Dont but snails in your tank if your not sure what they are.
Removing a hermit crab thats eating decaying zoos, in a 16G tank isn't a good choice.
If you have a reef safe cleanup crew, and there on your zoos why would you remove them from the colony?
FWIW, Zoos do die. Can you post a pic chances are its a disease.
JMO.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i will try to get a pic up- but there is no sign of disease. The zoos are basically gone. Thats it- no sign of distress is surrounding zoos, nothing. I wouldn't put snails i didnt' know about in the tank- i bought a specific kind from a store...cerith shouldn't cause the problems, but I will keep an eye on them.

I would agree about the irritators- but the zoos which are having problems are near the top of my tank- not in a high traffic area and not in any place where spaghetti worms, etc will brush up on them. The zoos on the bottom of my tank seem fine- and they are constantly being harrased by spaghetti worms, etc.!

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cerith wont cause that problem.
I was referring to your first post "Had a conical shell- came from the gulf of mexico (not sure the exact kind)..."
Is this the Cerith or a hitchhiker?
No need to post pics, my tank is 95% Zoanthids if there "basically gone" i know what that looks like.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: