Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
well today will probally be my sadest day in my reefing experience. my mystery wrasse jumped out of my 75 gallon tank today and went carpet surfing i was at work all day so didnt make it to him on time :(. its really sad i have been doing this for abotu a year and have not lost one fish untill this. he was my favorite fish and deff the centerpiece of my tank. my reef has been a slow building process and just didnt get to the point of covering my tank yet. how do you guys cover your tanks to prevent your wrasses from jumping out? my return piping comes a little bit above the tank lip so a glass lid wont work for me, not that i wanted to put one on it anyway. are wrasses the only fish that theirs really a risk of them jumping. and i see a bunch of people on here with rimless tanks that have wrasses in them how do you guys avoid this type of disaster. sorry for the long post just really saddend by all this.

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
the mesh doesn't affect the light penetrating the tank? would egg crate affect it? i have a canopy but havent put it on yet cause i havent put enough fans in it would that help as well

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Most of marine fish are jumpers, with wrasses and jawfish being best at it. My clownfish jumped out but it bounced of the mesh cover and hit the overflow so I had to flush him down the drain:) Once my wrasse jumped out when I was feeding my fish. He got so excited when he saw me he jumped out and hit the wall. Fortunately he didn't hurt himself.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
White mesh like bride's netting or bird net won't affect light penetration. Eggcrate will reflect some light IMO

A mesh that is too small will affect the amount of lighting getting through which is why I am such a fan of the 1/4" pond netting, which is also UV protected- so it will not dry out due to your lighting.
Egg crate will definitely lessen the amount of light that can penetrate. I inquired about the percentage you lose with egg-crate on the tank and IIRC I was told either 30 or 40% by Sanjay...that's a lot of light to lose!

Can you post a pic of what the top of the tank looks like? I am sure we can come up with a solution for you :)

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Are you using the light with the spacers?
If you are you can build something that goes from the tank to the light in the front and back. You won't lose any light that way.
You could make it from 1/4 ply. Would be somewhat easy.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
the mesh doesn't affect the light penetrating the tank? would egg crate affect it? i have a canopy but havent put it on yet cause i havent put enough fans in it would that help as well

In my experience eggcrate definitely reduces the light. I made a DIY mesh covering using clear mesh with 1/4 inch squares. It's not easy to find the clear mesh in small quantities and I bought my first sheets from a reefer on the San Diego Reefs forums, he'd bought a roll of 100 yards.

I recently discovered taht Bulk Reef Supply now sells the mesh in precut sheets of 6' x 2'. I picked some up for the new tank during the group buy and can confirm it's excatly what I used for my old tank.

Robin

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i ue eggcrate.. you can get a 4ft x 2ft sheet at home depot for 6$ and then cut it to size.. it has 1/2" square holes thru out and lets air contact water and light thru without shadows.. and keeps the fish in

edit... didnt realize that id does limit light.. i never had any issues with it...guess ill be changing over myself

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: