• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I've been reefing for well over 25 years. In the beginning I kept my salinity at 1.024 and saw issues with that specific reading. So I figured let me lower it and see if I can keep the parasites at bay. So, slowly I started lowering the salinity to around 1.021 and guess what? My fish and any new fish were doing better, corals also with less deterioration. I was using reef crystals back then and keeping my temperature at around 77-79 degrees. So, I set up a new tank now and forgot what I used to do and went by the book. Started losing a couple of small starter fish but when I lost a potters angel I started wondering. Next came another prize fish starting to act in the similar manner. His mate was chasing him and nipping at him and the My cleaner wrasse was all over him so I knew something wasnt right. So I knew if wanted to save him and any other potential other fish from this similar senario I'd have to go back to what worked for me. I'll be dropping my salinity by 1 degree every 2 days and keeping the temperature on the lower end at 77-78. I'm hoping it works.

So, my question to you all is:
What do you keep your coral reef tank with fish salinity and temperature at?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
1.025? what size tank do you have and what do you have in it? You don t get any fish death at that parameter cause by who know what? Guess I just like to keep it low and keep the parasites at bay. Seems like they thrive on high salinity and high temps.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Recommended reef salinity is 1.023-1.025.. I keep it on the higher end it doesn't get much higher than 1.026 before I top off.
This is with a 40g with approx 16-17g in the sump. I haven't dealt with ich or any other parasites in over 2 years.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
come again? stocked heavy?

Attachments

• IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 723

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Figured the lowered salinity would stave off parasites. I know all the fish stores keep their salinity low for that reason. What would be the benefit of a higher salinity over a lower salinity or ice versa.
Chime In.

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
to kill ich, you need to lower salinity to about 1,010 witch is very low for other anumals. to do so i would recomend to use Q-tank.. I found lower salinity like 1,023 and lower can cause TN and STN for SPS corals..

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Ich is always present in fish, it's like us having the the cold virus but what brings it out is what's important. When we stress our immune system lowers or fails so we catch colds or get sick. Same for fish. Less stress equals healthier fish. But back to the subject at hand.
Lower salinity vs higher salinity

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Ich is a parasite, not a virus. Stress doesn't cause it to come about, as it's either there or it's not. Less stress, and a stronger immune system, will help the fish fight it off though.

In order for a low SG to have an effect on Ich it needs to be 1.009 or lower. Most fish can take that low a level or SG but at this level most corals and inverts will die.

A lower SG may kill some parasite but most can survive it without any problems, and some can even survive went the SG is zero. Most parasites are stronger than fish, and there eggs can last for quite some time.

You'll find that you're fish, corals and inverts will do better at higher SG, but you also need to take into account where the they come from, as in certain places the SG is higher than others, like the items from the Red Sea.

I run my Reef tank at SG 1.026-.27 and 79. Though I don't really check the SG in my fish tanks that often I run at SG 1.022-1.024 and 79.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I also think you'll find that LFS run their Reef tank at high SG than their fish tanks. Partly to fight off parasites and partly because they're using a lot more water to bag up fish than corals, and have to keep adding top off water, which brings the SG down. They also dose copper and other things into the water to help fight off parasites and such. I would also think that most LFS would also run higher temp, because of the temp in the store and that they're running the light a lot longer than we do at home. I would think most are also running chillers too.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: