wrudge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello All,

I've come across an issue and came to the experts for advice. Even though I've been a member on this site for close to five years, I haven't had a tank for most of that time. I used to have a 55G tank (non RR) a couple of years ago that fell by the wayside after a tank crash and some personal issues. I've always browsed the forums and marketplace just to stay involved. Fast forward to this past December, where I spotted a local ad for a 72G RR bowfront with stand for a great price. Like a lot of people I always wanted to go bigger and have a sump. I ended up buying the tank and stand and in the process met a great guy. He also happened to be breaking down his 180G tank at the same time and for some additional cash, I was able to take the water, live rock, and fish from his 180G for my 72G. I set the tank up and everything was running great. That is until I heard a noise Thursday night and noticed some of my rock fall in the tank. Upon inspection it looks like what was once a crack in the center brace has now turned into a giant split.

Pics of split in 72G center brace:
P1040571.jpg

P1040570.jpg

It just so happens around this same time I had several PMs out to people about tanks for sale (like everyone else never satisfied with tank size). I found a RR 90G with stand for a decent price. I had texted the guy with a pic of the bowfront crack and explained my situation, he said he didn?t think the bowfront would break because the brace was still somewhat intact. But he had the tank for sale if I wanted. Now I know I could have emptied the 72G and replaced the top frame, but I looked at it as a way to upgrade with the wife?s approval. At this time the wife was worried the 72G bow was going to break and flood our living room. The guy was leaving on a weeks vacation starting today, so I arranged to buy and pick up the tank yesterday. Long story short, I picked up the tank yesterday and just now got a neighbor to help me carry it into the house and put it on the stand. The tank was upside down the whole time (from when I picked it up from the seller, put in the car and carried into the house). Now that the tank is upright on the stand I look at the top frame and wouldn?t you know it ? several cracks in it. Both front and back of the center brace area.

Pics:

P1040572.jpg

P1040573.jpg

P1040577.jpg

P1040574.jpg

Needless to say the wife is not happy. So there is my dilemma, what should I do? Is this something the seller should have disclosed? I know I should have looked at the tank better, but I wanted to get something quick before the other tank blew and like I said he was leaving on vacation so that was my one chance to get the tank. He also knew what I was going through with the 72G tank, how could he not know his tank had a cracked frame as well. Does it matter on a regular rectangular tank if the top frame has cracks, as opposed to the bowfront?

I can?t help but feel like I was taken advantage of. Thanks in advance for the comments and advice.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
he should have disclosed, and you should have taken a better look. You may be able o replace that trim on 90: sorry for your situation, what should have been a fun upgrade may be a pia...... Good luck. If don't mind asking, what Pay or 90? Ton of great priced tanks in mp

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Bill, this is terrible news, Im sorry to hear it. Start by reaching out to the seller with the issue. It might work out fine. If the guy knew the rim was cracked, in a number of places, he should have disclosed that and more importantly, shouldnt have sold it. JMO.

Anyway, give him a call, see what happens. Maybe you could keep the stand, and just ask for some money back for the tank. Shouldnt be too hard to find a used 90 on this site for a decent price.

wrudge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I sent the guy a PM. He told me he was going away on vacation for a week, so I guess I wait and see. I also came home today and while preparing to remove all the salt deposits from the tank, found this (it appears the chipped piece was siliconed back in place):

P1040581.jpg

Now I know I can replace the top frame, but is this tank even usable with this chip in it. Thanks for the responses.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Sorry to hear what happened. I know how excited you were to set up the 72 and now the 90 but looks like just a small streak of bad luck. Don't give up.
Hopefully the seller would refund money and you can look for another tank.
IMHO, I would not fill it up. The siliconed piece might hold up but not sure for how long. Last thing you want is 90 gallons of water in living room.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
IMO - ditch the tank entirely. That cracked frame is bad enough, but the chip is really bothering me too.
Nor do I like that it looks like this tank may have been dragged on the ground due to the way the plastic frame looks in the pic of the chip.

The stand will fit either a 75 or 90G tank, and I'm sure you can pick one up here on MR quickly.

I am most concerned about your current 72..did you at least lower the water level to take some pressure off of the glass?
I would also suggest putting one of those belt things that you can wratchet tightly (cannot think of what they are called) around the tank as well to reduce the pressure on the glass as you will be working near it and water will be moving in it...don't want it to break on you especially of you are near it :(

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I don't think they drill them, and I think only up to 55g tanks for sale price.

Where did you buy that tank? Someone on forums or craigslist...... ?
I agree with everyone that you should not fill up and wash your hands of tank. Tough break, good luck

9kin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Deffinatelly deffinately get rid of your old tank. And as Kathy recomended, lower the water level.

Here is my story: remember 2 years ago when we had huge rainfall and somewhat huricane weather?... Well that day i was doing some work on my almost empty tank and broke that plastic reinforcement. I glued it, put metal brace on top and fixed it as much as i could. As i was filling my tank with watter (a little more then half way up), i heard a crack. Havvent noticed anything untill i put the lights on (couple of secods later). I noticed huge crack propagating from the plactic brace all the way down to the bottom. Thanks god it was not a critical fracture. So the water remained in the tank. I drained it and started calling places to find exact same tank size.

Why i mentioned huricane.... I found my tank all the way in NJ and drove couple hours from brooklyn in crappy weather to pick it up.

DO not hesitate. Buy yourself safety. Dont risk it with the tank. It will save you headache in the future. If not in near future.... Deffinately in the distant future.

Sorry fir your "misfortune". I know it will work itself out. One step at a time and you will end up with much better setup than you ever imagined. Its just always happens like that.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: