Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I picked up 2 really nice sponges today at my lfs. I was just wondering why I don't see sponges in other peoples tanks? I'm not sure what the name of these are but they are yellow need to be fed and flow but not strong light. Are sponges difficult to keep? I've had success with the few I've purchased

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tank has been up for almost 2 years although I just upgraded about a month ago. I've had sponges for about 8 months. I hope your not going to tell me they don't last and should be kept in the wild because I'll be bummed!

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hey homegrown how long have you had your sponges? What do you feed them? How quick have they grown?

well, aside from the pink encrusting one that spread from life rock, and the normal little white mossy ones that can be found growing all over the place.
I picked up one inch pieces of a yellow finger sponge and a violet vase sponge from Key West this past summer. I kept them small so that I can carry them on the plane within the liquid limit. (too big and they wouldn't make the trip)

The finger sponge has grown about 2 extra inches, whereas the vase sponge seems to be just hanging on. The exterior died out, then it readjusted its shape, became a bit smaller (probably adjusting to the water flow and light levels) but appears to be growing again. I feed phyto and a homemade ground-up mix 3 times a week, so that the water becomes cloudy for about 15-30 minutes, before everything gets filtered/eaten up. The skimmer is off during this time.

With a big sponge, you run the risk of them starving. Sponges can be cut up and each piece will grow. They also stick to the rock very quickly, if clamp it down. Just make sure you don't pull any of the sponge out of the water. Air bubbles kill it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: