Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for Barnacles. Is anyone in here sell them or know any place that I can get them from? I need it for a research I am doing. I prefer Acorn Barnacles but I will take any type of Barnacle at this point. Thank You.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I am looking for Barnacles. Is anyone in here sell them or know any place that I can get them from? I need it for a research I am doing. I prefer Acorn Barnacles but I will take any type of Barnacle at this point. Thank You.

Hi Aleena. Everyone Aleena is a bio student at St. Josephs College here in Brooklyn. She is working on a senior research project involving marine organism feeding strategies and wants to do some focused research on barnacles. Does anyone know where live ones can be purchased, or local ones easily collected. The college has an environmental control station so temp. is not an issue.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I could supply ...about a million of them off my boat dock..but I am rarely in the city. If Aleena has a way to get out in my direction, I'd be happy to help her out :) (LIRR comes out here to the boonies !)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I could supply ...about a million of them off my boat dock..but I am rarely in the city. If Aleena has a way to get out in my direction, I'd be happy to help her out :) (LIRR comes out here to the boonies !)

Yeah, cause Barnum Island sounds almost as far as never neverland! :lol:
Isn't it a little cold to get in the water to get those barnacles though?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That?s one possibility. I am not sure if it?s possible to identify what kind of barnacles are found in the docks. I can?t have 3 or 4 different species of Barnacles for my research.

I was able to find a few from the beach. Those ones were varied in size. Most of them were tiny. I assume the ones on the docks are also small.
But I was hoping if there any vendors or anyone has Barnacles that I can just purchase from.

If I can't find them in any other way, I have to get it from the docks or from the beaches.

Last edited:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
You can always purchase a bundle of crabs. Pick the ones that have barnacles on it... remove barnacles... feast on crabs. That way it's a WIN WIN!!!

:Blurp:
DSCF4570.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great Kathy. You just saved my research!!! I actually live in long island. I think you are not so far from me. I need to consult with my mentors and professors first. I will have a definite answer by monday. Thanks.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yeah, cause Barnum Island sounds almost as far as never neverland! :lol:
Isn't it a little cold to get in the water to get those barnacles though?

No need to get into the water, you time everything with the tides, they are on the pilings..and are a fingertip away.

Aleena..the barnacles by me are all of like size and the base is easily in the 3/4" diameter..too bad you didn't ask sooner, we could have taken hundreds off the trim tabs on my boat :(

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
That's great Kathy. You just saved my research!!! I actually live in long island. I think you are not so far from me. I need to consult with my mentors and professors first. I will have a definite answer by monday. Thanks.

Perfect then :)
I will PM you my cell number, call whenever you want to get together!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: