Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, I have a 75 Gal Reef tank. Only soft corals in it. 10 fish. There is currently about 60lbs of live rock in the tank. I recently got about 30lbs of rock off a friend of mine. It was live and taken out of his tank. It was placed in buckets and stored in his basement for about a year. I took the rock and soaked it for a day,then rinsed it and cleaned it as best as I could. I then boiled the rock for aprox. 5 minutes each. I then took the rock and put it in a large rubbermaid tub with water from my display tank when I did a water change. I placed several small pieces of live rock from my DT with the new rock and there is a heater (78 degrees) in the tub with a power head. It has been in the rubbermaid tub for 2 days now. I have tested the ammonia levels and they were at aprox. 1. I then did a water change on the tub with the new rock today. My question is how long do I leave it like this before I can add it to my tank?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Technically, you want it to go through a full cycle before adding it to your tank so that you will not experience another cycle (whether mini or larger scale) in your current tank.

It will probably take 3-4 weeks. Keep doing what you are doing, but do be sure to add some food in there to keep the growing bacteria alive. (is there any circulation in there?..there needs to be!, you didn't mention that)

This is the best way to add additional rock to your tank without experiencing issues :)

Just curious..how long has your 75 been set up?

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a power head in the tub as well, so circulation is good. The 75gal has been setup for about a year now. I had a 50gal for about 4 1/2 years that I upgraded to the 75gal. When I upgraded to the 75gal from the 50gal I added about 15lbs of dry rock I got from my local store. All I did with that rock was soak, scrub and boil it. But that didn't come from another tank, though it did cover with orange/reddish alge after about a month or so. But the alge went away after awhile.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
ok, thanks for the info...just keep doing what you are doing. It is the best way to keep the tank stable (the goal in this hobby!) and add it only after it has fully cycled :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: