jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I been running one for 1 month now 24/7 I will not stop using it water is clear skimmer is pumping nice i am now a true fan of uv light

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So Bobby your saying that when your using your UV you see your water crystal clear with no small bubbles or tiny small things floating around?

A UV will not have any affect on small bubbles, one has nothing to do with the other. It would also not eliminate particule matter, if it was alive it might kill it, but certainly not remove it.

The majority of things a UV light will kill off in yout tank (aside from algae) would not be anything you would see with the naked eye. It kills off single cell algae, parasites- if you have any and they go through the UV, and bacteria, both good & bad.

What is your issue that you are considering adding a UV to the tank?

Last edited:

ruha456

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I had mine on at the beginning of my first tank and always had it on, but about two months before I switched to my new tank I always had it off and didn't notice any difference. I've often pondered the same question specially for my new setup, uv or no uv that is the question.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I think we may be talking about 2 different things. I think Angelo is asking about actual lighting and we all thought he meant UV sterilizers. If I'm not mistaken, some light manufacturers (I think Apollo is one) are now adding "UV" LEDs to their fixtures. They said, "We also added UV LED to all of our fixtures in the 403NM range" over on NJRC. Maybe that's what Angelo is talking about? I could be wrong though......

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I think we may be talking about 2 different things. I think Angelo is asking about actual lighting and we all thought he meant UV sterilizers. If I'm not mistaken, some light manufacturers (I think Apollo is one) are now adding "UV" LEDs to their fixtures. They said, "We also added UV LED to all of our fixtures in the 403NM range" over on NJRC. Maybe that's what Angelo is talking about? I could be wrong though......

I'm talking about the UV sterilizers Jay

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
A UV will not have any affect on small bubbles, one has nothing to do with the other. It would also not eliminate particule matter, if it was alive it might kill it, but certainly not remove it.

The majority of things a UV light will kill off in yout tank (aside from algae) would not be anything you would see with the naked eye. It kills off single cell algae, parasites- if you have any and they go through the UV, and bacteria, both good & bad.

What is your issue that you are considering adding a UV to the tank?

No Kathy just wanted to hear every ones input about them. But I don't know maybe I will use one or may be not

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
You should be more specific on what you want advice about because I thought the same thing. A uv sterilizer and uv light are 2 very different things.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
LOL! here I thought I was getting pretty good at speaking "Angelonese."

A UV sterilizer is a pretty powerful UV bulb designed to bombard the water flowing over it with enough UV radiation to kill harmful (and benificial) micro organisms.

A UV light is another spectrum of LED that some companies are using. I'm not even sure if it's visible to us or not to be honest. It's just another spectrum of light that they believe will help coral grow better.

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just came across this thread.... Sunday night I notice water on the floor of my fishroom thank g-d it's in the basement or my bags would have been packed for me by you know who! I sprung a leak and for what seemed like several minuites I couldn't figure out where the wAter was coming from, turns out a broken fitting that connected the uv sterilizer to the plastic tubing broke. After getting things under control I bypassed the uv sterilizer out of the system. Yesterday I started noticing cloudy water and small particles/ bubbles in the water I beleive this is due to know sterilizer tomorrow I will put the sterilizer back into the system, I will let you know if water clears!

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Just came across this thread.... Sunday night I notice water on the floor of my fishroom thank g-d it's in the basement or my bags would have been packed for me by you know who! I sprung a leak and for what seemed like several minuites I couldn't figure out where the wAter was coming from, turns out a broken fitting that connected the uv sterilizer to the plastic tubing broke. After getting things under control I bypassed the uv sterilizer out of the system. Yesterday I started noticing cloudy water and small particles/ bubbles in the water I beleive this is due to know sterilizer tomorrow I will put the sterilizer back into the system, I will let you know if water clears!

thanks i appreciate that how many watts of uv sterilizer are you using and what size tank you have too?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I beleive this is due to know sterilizer tomorrow I will put the sterilizer back into the system, I will let you know if water clears!

This could be cyano starting. A lot of people use a U. Sterilizer to reduce cyano. Since it is actually a bacteria it can be controlled. It isn't the best way to control it but it works for some.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
lol! Here i thought i was getting pretty good at speaking "angelonese."

a uv sterilizer is a pretty powerful uv bulb designed to bombard the water flowing over it with enough uv radiation to kill harmful (and benificial) micro organisms.

A uv light is another spectrum of led that some companies are using. I'm not even sure if it's visible to us or not to be honest. It's just another spectrum of light that they believe will help coral grow better.
+1

jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
my question is 4 someone out there is i lost 2 fishes n my 90 galon a powder blue n a anthias square i also have live rock n lps corals my water parametres r good according 2 the pet store he said i might have fungus n my tank n dat i should get a uv sterillizer i did a water change yesterday i noticed my yellow tangs fings look ravelled wat should i do?

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey Angelo,
I put the sterilizer on at 7am when I got
home around 3:30 there was a signicant difference in water
clarity and dust type particles almost gone! I put
a new bulb in the sterilizer around 4pm and at
5:30 even notice my corals looking healthier/ open more especially my clam.
I was told by lfs that my 15 watt sterilizer is undersized for my 120g tank!
Good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: