howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
There's plenty of ways to use the waste water from an RO unit. Wash dishes, water plants, use it in the washing machine. Pretty much anything else you use water for you can use the waste water for. With the exception of drinking I would think. Not too sure about cooking though, like boiling spaghetti or something.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
To the op - you have gotten some great advice in this thread. Old Pc bulbs WILL cause algae especially using tap water. You keep defending the tap water but that is most likely your underlying problem. It dosent matter what your test kit says, you have a ton of phosphate in your tank, the algae is masking it from your tests. The more flow thing is not gonna help unless you stop feeding phos into your tank via the tap water. You might want to try a phos reactor also. If you don't want to take advice don't ask the freakin question!

Last edited:

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
settle down fishman. I actually got more answers on another forum that was very helpful. I understand that tap is the issue. They also mentioned trying a tap water filter. There are always ways around things there isn't 1 set of rules to setup a SW tank. After reading a number of posts in multiple forums there are multiple ways of doing things. I had a member look at my tank and noticed I had too many DEAD spots for algae to grow. I found the LED unit I will purchase when I move. I will set it up with more flow etc and take it from there to see how it fares with the water from the new town. If not I will look into a tap water filter as well as phosphate reactor if needed. I appreciate all of the advice, help.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i hate when people ask for advise then tell you your wrong LOL..its not like people here havent gone through all this already.sure there are alot of ways to set up a reef or a fowler but there is always a right way.there is no skimping on this hobby so if your problem is you cant see spending 150 dollars on a crucial piece of equipment maybe you should stick to freshwater.you can use the waste water for many things no need to waste it.sure more flow might help but your water quality is the key.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Save the money you would waste on LED's (For a FOWLR PC's are more than adequate) And buy yourself a RO/DI unit with a Booster pump. The pump allows you to come very close to a 1:1 ratio of waste water to useable RO/DI water. The units can be made portable to hide in a closet and only pull out when needed. Hook it up to your kitchen sink and allow the wate water to go down the drain. (You waste MORE water taking a shower than doing a 10 gallon water change.

Replace your current PC bulbs with a new set and spend $40 on a pair of powerheads.

Problem solved.

This should help....

RO/DI Unit - http://thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

Booster Pump - http://thefilterguys.biz/booster_pumps.htm

Faucet Adapters - http://thefilterguys.biz/tap_water_fittings.htm

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of your advice and help. Once I make the move I am going to take everything into consideration. I am going to make the move add more flow toss my existing PC and replace with LED unit which is cheap and effective. I will see how that setup does with the "new" water from the other town to see if it makes any difference (just as a test)

I will probably get a media reactor for nitrates and phosphates then I will see how things go with testing the water and water changes and if nothing changes I will try the tap water filter and ultimately RO.

I have been taking advice from tons of members who have been in my shoes and stick with tap water and are successful. I understand it is the tap but I was successful before with tap as well as others so I was just exploring every avenue.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: