evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
So.......I have an SI True Perc I believe I saw it on RC named as. It was previously paired as per the LFS I purchased it from but it's mate died. Then I got another True Perc elsewhere.

So the story goes on.....

From the get go they were pretty inseparable but 2 months later they look like they got the dance going on and always together. They sleep together as well so if they don't spawn soon then he's shooting blanks!!!

I recently read the thread about breeding and a few things I noted were the female should be the bigger of the two but my aggressor seems to be the smaller. Unfortunately, from my understanding the aggressor will be the female.

Signs that you have a pair bond in your clownfish:
There are a couple of signs that a pair bond has formed and is maturing in your clownfish in addition to submissive behavior. Typically mated pairs (pairs that have a pair bond) will sleep in the same area. They will also host in the same host or stay in the same territory if there is no natural host present. The two fish will stay close to each other the vast majority of the time.

The pair bond is a developing thing. It starts out as a general acceptance of each other. Then slowly develops into a closer relationship were both fish are together most of the time. There is a bickering phase too where the female will make sure the male knows who is the boss. During this time it is not uncommon to find the poor little dejected male cowering near their normal host/territory. But don’t worry this is normal and the male will be accepted back sooner or later. The ultimate end of the pair bond is seen in a spawning event such as nest cleaning or laying of eggs.

So I have that down but the size of my clowns is my worry. Male is about 2 inches while the female is about 1-1 1/2. Is it very unlikely that they will spawn?

I started feeding a little more than usual though this makes me worry about nitrates. I have a stable temp of 80*. The environment is pretty stable but new in terms of I just upgraded so it may take a minute for them to be extremely comfortable.

Last edited:

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Maybe the little one is fighting to be a female,and u wil know if he is shotting blanks ones the female lays the eggs ,that's when the male goes right behind the female spraying his male juice :) n fertilized the eggs then what ever eggs don't look good gets eaten the male most of the time will eat some of the batches so don go crazy rushing getting everything ready let the first batch go like that it would give you time to set everything right,I went all the way to bk from nj on bus n train just for some rotifers " live ones" a member hook me up with some n green water (micro algae) for nothing cuz next day when they hatched they were all gone :(

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Yeah. I'll wait for a few clutches to go by before I start trying. I want to make sure they start laying before I go crazy setting up a tank for the babies. Thanks for the reply guys!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: