cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
It took 4 tries, but I think I finally got the noisy plumbing problem on my new tank solved. Since setting up the tank 3 months ago I've had problems with both surging and a really loud sump - the original thread is here. The addition of a ball valve on the drain line and increasing the diameter of the pipe to the fuge from 3/4" to 1" were what did the trick. No more surging, no more overwhelmed filter sock and no more Niagra falls in my living room.

This is the final plumbing set-up I arrived at:

tank020412-a.jpg

Last edited:

garys reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
some people say a valve on the drain is a no no but i did the same thing and my tank is very quiet as well i actually shut the drain totally and kept the pump running and the pump started sucking air and the tank was about an inch from overflowing nice job

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
some people say a valve on the drain is a no no but i did the same thing and my tank is very quiet as well i actually shut the drain totally and kept the pump running and the pump started sucking air and the tank was about an inch from overflowing nice job

your ato doesnt kick on adding more water to the system...thats what happens. u gotta have an emergency drain.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I'm not using an auto top off set up and have a Geo Durso that has a guard to keep critters from getting into the drain line. In the unlikely chance something did get in there, the drain to the fuge should let enough water through to keep the tank from overflowing.

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
holy crap jafica i had this set up before i added my ato u are right in my case im not worried cause i have my drain wide open but cybermeez check that please when i didnt have ato it worked good glad u made me think about this thanks
i set up an emergency drain just slightly higher than the normal water level in the tank, sometimes there is water spilling into it...be careful thats all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: