miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For my 75 mixed reef thats 2yo.....my alk was 4.9.,ca 360.
Amazingly corals r fine.

Wanna start dosing....whats the simplest , automated dosing u can suggest. Something that is cheap,automatic, least manual maintenance. Is the BRS peristalic pump,mix ok?any diy?....if diff bet diy & brand product is small I might as well buy some brs product.

Question:Shouldn't the mixes, be shaken before use, then how can they be used automatically:confused:

Pls advice

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Did you test the magnesium? If you are going to be dosing, you should 1st. find out what all your parameters are. It could possibly be that your mag is low.;) I had this happen to me as well as others. Fixed the mag, and everything else was fine.:) So all I had to dose to correct the situation was magnesium.

I'd like the answer to your other question as well.:) I was confused about that too so I sold my dosing pump.

I really don't like the idea of putting kalk in my ato cause I don't want my reef overdosed in the event that the pump gets stuck, and dumps a bunch of it.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
kalk replaces alkalinity and calcium. First you should bring your levels back to normal slowly. I reccomend you do water changes. what salt are you using? With regular water changes your Alkalinity should not have dropped so low

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Did you test the magnesium? If you are going to be dosing, you should 1st. find out what all your parameters are. It could possibly be that your mag is low.;) I had this happen to me as well as others. Fixed the mag, and everything else was fine.:) So all I had to dose to correct the situation was magnesium.

I'd like the answer to your other question as well.:) I was confused about that too so I sold my dosing pump.

I really don't like the idea of putting kalk in my ato cause I don't want my reef overdosed in the event that the pump gets stuck, and dumps a bunch of it.

Tested just now, salifert....result is 1470ppm.
So my alk is 4.9,ca 360,mg1470...ppm.

I use RC salt, wc every 3wks,....my sps,lps are growing faster, from being small frags.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Tested just now, salifert....result is 1470ppm.
So my alk is 4.9,ca 360,mg1470...ppm.

I use RC salt, wc every 3wks,....my sps,lps are growing faster, from being small frags.

This most likely your issue!:flirt: Not a bad thing:approve: Your corals I using it up quickly. Perhaps weekly water changes before you start dosing.;)

Anyone care to respond to the OP question on how the dosers work if there isn't any manual shaking of the bottles?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Not sure what brand you folks are taking about dosing, but B-Ionic doesn't need to be shaken unless you are mixing the concentrate, and once that is done, you're good to go, it does not require continoius shaking.
If you read the Alk bottle - it states that it should be checked for crystalization during winter shipments, but again, once that is checked - and assuming you have a house with heat... again, you should be good to go.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You can also hand dose the Alk to get the numbers back to where they belong and then maintain your parameters through regular water changes.

Do you know how fast your tank is using up the Alk & Ca?

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
kalk replaces alkalinity and calcium. First you should bring your levels back to normal slowly. I reccomend you do water changes. what salt are you using? With regular water changes your Alkalinity should not have dropped so low

Yesterday, I started dousing 10ml each parta, partb.

What kalk brand do iuse in future to mix in ATO water reservoir once aweek?...reservoir is 20g...

Will it clog the aqualifter?...or air line tube for ato setup?

You guys r great....!

Oh btw, how long after expiry date can salifert kits be trusted for alk,ca,mg?
Thx....

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
No test kits are reliable past their expiration dates. That is why they have them. ;)

If you are a fairly new reefer, I would not suggest kalk being added to the ATO as there are other parameters that you need to watch when dosing kalk as your pH can be affected and you can end up precipitating out your Ca.
Better to get your tank stable through good husbandry practices and know why your Alk is where it currently is than just covering whatever the issue may be by using kalk.

..and yes, the use of kalk does tend to clog tubing and pumps -- don't forget your skimmer pump and return pump..etc as the water will be running through those as well if you start dosing kalk. They will need more frequent maintenance to be kept clean.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: